General Results Statistical Distribution

Hi,

I was wondering if some of you knew the empirical distribution of CFA results.

I socred above 70 % in all subjects for both CFA I and II and I wanted to see how I compared with other candidates; i.e. percentile ranking.

Any thoughts on that? I know that the 300 hours website provides something of the kind.

Thank you!

Congrats! Your CFA scores are above average for both levels – but your usage of the English language comes across as subpar.

#IMHO

Well, if you recall, the CFAI says scores don’t mean anything beyond pass (competent) and fail (incompetent). They’re not going to give you enough information to rank yourself against other candidates because that goes against how they want the scores used. In either case, the ranking is totally irrelevant.

The 300 Hours website is as good as toilet paper for this stuff. Biased sampling and responses, vague methodology, lack of external validation of their method…

Try scoring 70% in all subjects for L3. Then I will consider to give you my cookie…

You got “the nuts”, i.e. you had the best possible outcome so you have to be in the top percentile. Pretty dumb question from someone who is no worse than anybody here.

I’m sort of a CFA psychic. You send me $100 quid and I send you your percent breakdown. This isn’t official, but its pretty legit. Trust me.

What, exactly, is one hundred dollars quid?

youre right - that was confusing - best he sends both

It’s like a squid, but has only five tentacles.

Pentacles, then.

damn sounds like you are a best of breed analyst already.

i have my test results on linkedin and a lot of recruiters complement me on them. however for some reason tinder has not caught on yet

Thanks for that bit of unsolicited negative advice.

I understand you opinion. However, objectively it does not work. Let’s take the following example: John misses one more question than Jane, resulting in his failing the exam. However, only one random question separates them and John might be better than Jane. Given the pass rate of 47%, it does not make any sense to say that rankings are irrelevant. It’s like saying that all NFL players are created equal because they made it to the NFL. Yet, we all know some players are better than others.

Hi,

Are you serious regarding the recruiters’ attention to your exam results on LinkedIn? It seemed my question antagonized most of those who replied and I do not want to automatically construe you reply as sarcasm.

I’m pretty sure the CFA Institute says the exams or scores can’t be used for ranking purposes, only for a level of competency. I’m not saying that people who take the exam are all equally as smart or equally “competent.” I’m just saying the CFA Institute has more or less made clear they don’t endorse the ranking of candidates by the score matrices. Additionally, any ranking is most likely going to show you how you prepared for the exam relative to others rather than any sort of measure of intelligence or real world performance (the latter is probably why the CFAI doesn’t endorse rankings to avoid the implication of “higher score bracket means better investing”). It’s a content based exam with little to do with intelligence and actual performance after a certain point.

I’ll restate it that the ranking, whatever it is, is irrelevant.You can study hard (or not) and pass the test with the top score, but if you can’t produce in real life, no one care’s about your ranking. If you can make the case otherwise, I’d be glad to hear it.

Better yet, if you don’t want to explain the above situation, share with us how knowing your rank is relevant.

Arrogant, self-righteous posts deserve jeering, satirical comments – don’t you agree?

#URWelcome

In spades.

Add some nudes + CFA scores. Guaranteed coitus.