Is it worth getting the CFA now or waiting until 2019 to start?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if its even worth getting the CFA now or just waiting until 2019 as more things related to fintech will be needed to prepare for. Would that mean getting a CFA now be less valuable than going for a CFA in 2019? A little about myself, final year bachelor student planning to write level 1 in December 2017 but kind of re-thinking my plan. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

I wouldn’t delay starting. If you’re taking level 1 in December, I’d recommend also making the commitment to do level 2 the following June if you’re able to clear level 1 on your first try.

You proposing waiting till 2019 as you think the material will change and get more relevant?.. That is the dumbest idea i have ever heard.

Hey dumbass I don’t think I ever said material will get relevant or change, I just see much more potential in having a CFA with more qualified knowledge in computer science and all the other topics to be introduced to prepare for.

Since you need four years of experience to obtain the charter, it may not be a bad idea to wait. But don’t wait because of what material may or may not be tested. Do it when you will be mentally prepared for the task.

When they add the “computer science stuff” it might only be like 1 chapter… ie…its not going to fundamentally change the core material

I second this. Although I do agree on waiting until you finish your bachelor, since you need to focus ALL YOUR ENERGY in the CFA program to have a chance of passing.

If you want, you can always get some CFA books to read and see if this is something you really want to study before you make the commitment.

NANA

I second this. Although I do agree on waiting until you finish your bachelor, since you need to focus ALL YOUR ENERGY in the CFA program to have a chance of passing.

If you want, you can always get some CFA books to read and see if this is something you really want to study before you make the commitment.

NANA

Hey asshat - you aren’t going to “get a CFA” right now. You aren’t even enrolled in the program for starters. Even if you started in 2017 the earliest you can get pass your Level III is in 2019. You won’t have the experience by then to qualify for the charter. There is also always outside continuing education that you can pursue as well.

Yeah no I agree with you 100%! I’m pretty confident I have a solid chance of achieving it as the material comes easy to me. Would you say that pursuing a MFA is better than an MBA?

ps. That other guy was a douche so ignore my language

Fintech will have a chapter or so probably, similar to High-frequency trading now. I don’t think it would be very detailed and comprehensive subject of the curriculum, so not really worth waiting for it. Plus if you’re so interested about it, you can study about it right now from many online free resources, without depending on CFA including it on their exam,

Enter: level 2 swap valuation #rekt

+1. Whatever readings they add to address big buzz word aspects of finance today will be what I like to think of as “bastard child” readings that you skim through at best (e.g., HFT/Algo stuff from L2).

I presume you are asking if a Masters in Finance is better than an MBA? I don’t believe so unless you are going into a specialized roll. The CFA will pretty much cover a masters in finance. Disclosure: In addition to being a charterholder I also have an MBA.

Hey unclefucker, just take the exam now and get over with it. The exam is not going to get better or worse, and it is a self study exam, so any jabroni should be able to pick up any new material that CFAI introduces in the next 2 years.

To some people that’s just valuing a couple of bonds and exchanging them between different currencies. Not most people I realize, but they do exist.