Is it better to withdraw or fail in the exam ?

Hi all,

Iam CFA Level 1 Candidate my first CFA exam after 5 days and iam not ready to take the exam because i didn’t finished curriculum (I am studying from schweser ) yet just 50% or less and so i have two options

1- attend the exam 99.9 % i will fail the exam.

2- withdraw the exam.

I don’t know what is better.

Have you taken any mock exams yet? If yes, what are the scores?

Second question: are you making a big commute to get to the exam site that requires flying?

Honestly, I think it would be dumb not to show up and at least get a feel for the exam that can only better prepare you should you decide to retake in December 2017 or June 2018.

No i didn’t take any mock’s (I have schweser mock exams ) but i didn’t finish the curriculum to take mocks only EOC

The exam in mh country so its easy to attend the exam

But iam asking it’s not a bad sign in my CV to get CFA level I in 2nd attempt or 3rd attempt ?

Why would you specify in your CV how many tries it took you to pass the exam?

I definitely think you should go and take the exam. If you don’t plan on completing all three levels and are just throwing in the towel, then I wouldn’t bother.

I think it’s general question in any interview to ask me how many times i attend the exam to pass but i don’t know it will be public in the CFA site or not.

Any way if it doesn’t matter how many times so i will attend the exam.

Yes, it’s not public, and it doesn’t matter how many times it takes to pass. For starters, consider that few candidates get through all the exams on their first try.

Definitely take the exam. The experience you will gain from taking the exam will be more than beneficial when you take it the next time around (assuming you do not pass first time).

You still have 5 full days til exam date where you can still get through a fair bit of material. Maybe instead of trying to go through the 2nd of Shwesser books, read the CFAI summary’s for each reading and then attempt the mocks?

its a sunk cost. Strengthen your FRA and Ethics I would say. Play around with the rest. If you have finance, statistical or economics background I bet you’ll be able to get more than a few correct answers.

#HelpTheCurve

Not showing up is the same as failing…so just go.

Agree with this. You’d be surprised how many people screw up the logistics of exam day. It will be worth it to show up to learn how the day goes, if nothing else. You can re-take the exam again in 6 months, so nothing you do from now until the test is going to go to waste. Try and learn as much as you can, take the exam with little pressure and hit it hard again in December if you don’t make it through. I failed the first time I took it because I underestimated the prep, best thing that ever happened to me (well, career wise).

None of this nonsense about being asked how many times it took you to get through. Unless you willingly volunteer that information, I highly doubt this will ever come up. And if it does, probably a good bet you won’t want to work at said company.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is the most idiotic question ever.

Just because you didn’t go on the exam day, doesn’t take away the fact that you have failed the exam! I would say it will be incorrect for you to omit this “attempt” in the future if you choose to disclose the number of attempts you did to complete.

And most important of all, like others have mentioned, going to the exam and trying your best is by far the most valuable experience you can have to complete the program. If you are serious about moving onto the next level that is.

Thank you for your comments, i will attend the exam and i will try as much as possible to pass the exam, are there any advice for the last two days to my case.

1. If you fail the exam, then you don’t pass the exam. And you don’t get your money back.

2. If you don’t attend the exam, then you don’t pass the exam. And you don’t get your money back.

With Option #1, you have a chance, however small, that you can accidentally guess well enough to pass. And even if you fail, you’ll have attended an exam and seen how the whole process works. (Don’t underestimate how valuable this is.)

to answer your question…

[video:https://vimeo.com/219826767]

these guys are just stressed though and are not thinking clearly. just keep studying and give it go. i recommend you memorize formulas then read the pm exam explanation answers.

I was in this guys boat the first time I took level I. Knew I would fail but went and took it anyway. Think I got a Band 1, lol.

However it was good to see how it was structured, what time you should be where, etc.