PCP investigation - Assisting another candidate

Well, I received the dreaded email. PCP investigation pending and my results will be withheld. Long story short: The candidate I shared a desk with was caught glancing at my paper. To be clear: I am not being accused of any glancing.

However, the report does suggest that my scantron was “very close” to the other candidate, even “in the middle of the table”.

Obviously I did not willingly assist this person, but, as we all know, my fate now rests on a “he-said-she-said” scenario.

I have some time to prepare a response, but I’d greatly appreciate any insight from anybody who has familiarity with a case like this.

You’re fine. If you are worried about it, just get some edibles.

I appreciate the levity.

Have you heard of an issue like this before?

It seems like I should be free and clear, but why then even go through this process. Are these reports reviewed at all before candidates are notified?

rip op

Even though you didn’t “willingly assist this person”, the Institute has another name for this kind of activity.

#Collaboration #RIP

Try to ignore the idiots here, OP. Unfortunately this site seems to be swamped with them more than ever lately. I wish I could help you but I don’t have any experience with this, however over the years I have seen lots of useful posts re: PCP investigations. Maybe see what you can gather from the search feature, or keep this bumped and hopefully someone who isn’t completely useless will offer some feedback.

Good luck and sorry to hear about this.

I’m not an expert on PCP investigations but it sounds like you’re better off than most. The actions the proctors accused you of aren’t violations in themselves, as (I’m pretty sure, anyway) there aren’t rules about how much you can spread your test materials out while you take the test.

The guy who was doing the glancing, for instance, is in a lot worse shape. All you can do is tell the truth and hope for the best though. Good luck.

With all due respect, why is this “obvious”?

I suppose it’s not (otherwise I wouldn’t be in this mess)

I appreciate the well wishes from all.

I haven’t seen anything online about a case like this one so far. I’ll submit my response this week, and will post any updates I receive for candidates who find themselves in a similar situation in the future.

A few candidates do get through a PCP investigation without repercussion; with luck you’ll join their ranks.

OP, it’s a very odd accusation by CFAI. Accusing you of aiding someone else to cheat off your paper is like accusing a store owner of allowing someone to steal from his store. CFAI is going after people who collude on the test, but with random seating the chances are small that two people with the inclination to collude would actually get the chance to do so. I think the best approach is to show that you didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary during the exam, that you didn’t know the other person, and that you prepared and studied independently for the exam.

A similarity test may also be of use.

They did not specify the appropriate placement of your scantron and the distance between your scantron and your neighbour, they can’t simply say you assisted the person because your scantron was visable to him/her.

In fact, you can argue when you are writing your exam, you focused on your own work and did not even notice your neighbour was glancing your answers. Besides, you do not know this person, your seating is randomly chosen by CFAI and you have no reason to assist your neighbour to help him/her do better anyway!

i hope this clears up for you, best of luck!!

NANA

Probably not, though… assuming that guy they caught cheating actually was looking at his paper.

I don’t think seating is random. I sat near some of the same people at level 2 and 3. The same person sat at the table next to me.

Update: Yesterday I was relieved to hear that no further inquiry was needed in my case, and that my results would be released in 3-5 business days. After checking this morning, I was even more relieved to find out that I passed the L2 exam.

I’d like to thank everyone on this thread for their support and words of encouragement throughout this process.

Should anyone who is in a similar situation come across this thread in the future, please feel free to DM me. I’d be happy to help out in anyway I can.

Wow, congrats! First successful PCP ive ever heard of. Weak accusation by the proctor, they seem to be extremely over zealous

Incredible, I’ve never heard of an overturning before.

Congratulations, anon!

awesome news, interesting story!