Fintech

Hey All, First time poster here.

I currently hold the CFA charter and work for a hedge fund in downtown Toronto. I started my career in operations but have since moved over to sales and marketing. Recently I became interested in Fintech and would like to further my prospects of one day working in this field (ideally block chain technology). I wanted to start taking some tech related courses and I looked into a computer science degree however it’s full time and I’d prefer to keep working while I study.

I was wondering for anyone who works in this space what kind of skills, education and experience are required? I’d like to get started to prepare for the future but really at bit of a loss at where to being. Any suggestions would be great!

Dude, great idea.

My advice would be to not do the CS degree. Basically you should come up with a business idea focused around fintech… leverage off your connections, raise some VC and hire some nerds to do the computer stuff for you.

What do you mean by “I want to work in fintech”? That’s like saying “I want to work at Google”. Google hires all kinds of workers. If you want to be a software engineer at Google, then you should get a computer science degree. If you want to be an accountant at Google, then make sure you know how to do accounting, and so on.

Yeah, can someone explain to me what fintech is really? Isn’t it just using algorthms and coding for sales and trading most/probably more popular in a prop shop type gig?

If Fintech isn’t hiring right now, an alternative is to get your foot in the door at Initech.

#goodluck

Fintech looking for CFA domain expertise but it helps if you know a little R or Python.

http://www.cfapubs.org/doi/pdf/10.2469/cfm.v27.n4.19

Another area where I think demand for CFA will grow is crowdfunding. Now with Reg A and C, platforms need to pay attention to ethics and investment rules.

Most fintech companies long on tech, short on fin.