AI & Machine Learning to be added to the curriculum in 2019

Hello,

So big data analysis, machine learning, and blockchain will be included in the 2019 curriculum. Would the pre 2019 CFA L1 qualification appear to be less attractive than the new qualification which incorporates the fintec modules?

Is there a process in place where you can study and obtain L1 and then add the fintec knowledge from CPD?

I’m thinking about taking it in June 2018, however, I may delay, if the new qualification can improve job prospects in the rapidly evolving sector.

[comment removed by admin]

That was great.

Do not bother delaying your registration and attempt at L1. Even if they’re going to begin including it in the 2019 curriclum going forward, it’s very likely to cover the material uber superficially… I’m almost sure it won’t make you look anymore or less qualified than if you’d just sat for the 2018 exam, for example. If you are interested in the more fintech aspects of finance, go study that somewhere else, don’t expect to get a lot of exposure to that from the CFA Program. My two cents.

Indeed. These topics are fillers (see HFT for example), covered very high-level. Moreover, no one really cares what topics you covered in your exams. Having the charter is enough of a proof that you have this level of basic qualification in the field.