Skipping the exam and unforeseen circumstances

Hi all

My daughter has a hospital appointment this Saturday, nobody else can take her and therefore i am afraid that i most probably will not be able to sit the upcoming CFA level 1 test. Naturally, having spent the last 4 months revising, i am quite annoyed about this situation but i am even more worried about any potential future consequences. I graduated last summer, spent the past six months volunteering, started a family and am hoping to apply for MSc Finance programmes this autumn. I had intended the CFA level 1 to highlight my passion and enthusiasm for finance but am now worried that universities (and potential future employers) might be able to see that i skipped the test.

Any and all advice on how i can avoid this situation much welcome

Your living family members are exponentially more important than the CFA program - 100%. Dude, forget anything else are you serious? Your daughter is your daughter, CAPM aint going anywhere…

Just to calm your nerves… no one will be notified that you skipped test day

I think i may have dramatically misstated the nature of this appointment…it is not an emergency, life-threatening situation but more of a “the only date within the next 2-3 weeks that the GP can fit her in is Saturday 23rd”.

Thanks for the reply.

“I had intended the CFA level 1 to highlight my passion and enthusiasm for finance”

Well, on the bright side, no one would have given two Fs about this to begin with, so you didn’t really lose much…

Haha Thank god for that at least!

Will your daughter suffer if she waits? If you spent last 4 months revising, it’s not something to give up lightly. You’re gonna have to go through all of that again cause you won’t remember most of the material.

So…what did you do?

Hope your daughter is feeling better. If you missed the exam, it’s not a big deal. CFA Level 1 Exam happens twice a year and you will have another opportunity very soon. Your hard work won’t go waste. You will pick up the momentum very quickly. Good Luck.

I would suggest calling CFAI if you haven’t already. I almost missed Level 1 in 2015 because my pregnant wife (who months earlier told me I couldn’t possibly be that unlucky) looked like she was going to deliver the night before the test. While I was in a cab headed to the hospital, I called CFAI and explained that situation to them and they said they would defer me to December. As it turns out, she didn’t deliver until that Sunday so I was able to take it, but the key point is in situations like this the Institute does consider deferments.