No cryptocurrencies topics in the new syllabus

I could not see any cryptocurrencies chapter in the CFA syllabus 2019 for level 1and 2 other than fintech in investment which just contains an introductory to fintech which is covered in level 2 quant and in level 1 pm.

That’s true.

#HypeWasUnReal

Why would they? Crypto is pure speculation. And the tech has more to do with comp sci than finance.

I disagree. They could write about how using a cryptocurrency as a currency can affect an economy or affect other currencies. They can write about how blockchain can be used in finance. Everyone is fixated on the price and not what the developers are working on and the improvements being made. I don’t blame anyone for that, because in the end I don’t want to know how to build a car soup to nuts I just want to drive it.

they should teach how to hodl for dear life

I agree with the material addressing the topic in a lightweight manner, somewhat like they touched on IFRS 9 before it was enacted. Lots of this is contingent upon the SEC’s approval of Bitcoin ETFs for initial industry acceptance. It is entirely possible that cryptos will not become a substantial part of our financial fabric, but the reality is professionals (and charterholders) will be expected to have intelligent opinions on this when speaking with their clients and colleagues. CFAI explicitly including materials ensure that the CFA community will have a consistent perspective on the issue and allows them to help shape the narrative going forward.

I hope the lack of inclusion this year amounts to disagreement about the content and not whether it should be included at all.

Only a small subsection on cryptocurrency. Media overhyped it

That’s true

I was hoping they’d add another book to each level. I am disappoint.

Overreaction effect

I think the subject of crypto-currencies is coming soon into the CFA Curriculum. They must be working on the material currently. Leaving out crypto-currencies would leave a wide gap in the knowledge base for a professional in the 21st century