Pass on 1st attempt; My 2 Cents

In an attempt to try and add some comments that some may find valuable, I thought it might be worth noting a few tips/strategies/thoughts/etc that I found useful through my journey beyond simply listing out study prep, of which there is an abundance of useful information on this forum already.

-Before you begin the program, remove the CFA off the pedestal that you currently see it on. It’s going to be a challenge and take hard work but don’t be scared of it. It’s achievable, and it doesn’t have to consume your life. If you are of normal intelligence and have a strong work ethic – you can pass.

-Develop the mindset that you HAVE to pass on the first attempt. There is too much at stake to fail (mainly being time, and the downstream effects of that). You have to and will pass the first time. There can be no other way you view your approach to this.

-So much of the test is about planning. Develop a study plan from day 1 where you can confidently say to yourself “if I really stick to this plan, there’s no way I’ll fail”. Stick to that plan.

-Don’t be bothered by other people’s experiences. You will come across many people who are “smarter than you” who have failed, and many people who are “not as smart as you” who have passed. Everyone’s journey and approach is different. It’s not about how smart you are. (take that with shades of gray)

-Don’t fear level 2 – some find this to be the easiest. Don’t sleep on level 3 – some find this to be the hardest. Respect them all equally.

• You will have good days, bad days, ups and downs. But at the end of the day, stay the course, nothing matters (not even that 50% you get on a mock exam 2 weeks before the test) until test day – and know that you’re going to crush it on test day.

-For those of us who didn’t go to an Ivy league (or similar in prestige) school but work with people who did, this is a chance to show them (and yourself) that you are just as smart as them. You don’t get many opportunities to do that. That’s a fun prospect to have on the horizon. Embrace that and run with it.

-Schweser for all 3 levels. Mock exams. Mock exams. Mock exams.

-Sleep in a hotel very close to the test center on the big day. (this also gives you a personal bathroom beforehand)

-Exercise.

-If you come across a topic that after very detailed examination you simply can’t get. Search this forum for an explanation from S2000Magician. (S2000 – thank you)

Everyone is different. These are just some ‘themes’ (I guess) that worked for me. Hopefully it will help someone else out there. But at the end of the day, it’s about finding a strategy that works for you, developing a plan, sticking to it, and putting in the work.

Oh and no one likes a complainer. Everyone goes through life, gets married, has kids, has a full-time job, doesn’t have time to study, blah blah. Just keep your head down and pass!

All the best,

Passive lurker on this forum for 2.5 years

Thanks for the insights @USAHighlander. I signed up for private tutoring in 2014 for the CFA Level I exam from FinTree and was able to pass the CFA Level I exam in June 2017 after my graduation. I was not able to pass this year on attempting the CFA Level II exam because I believe I studied in a manner similar to that which I employed at CFA Level I (I studied for the CFA Level II exam as a full-time student). On leaving the exam center, I had a sense of confidence that I would pass, but the result shewed otherwise. On receiving my result, I came to the conclusion that the exam was tricky, because the options I selected gave me a false feeling of confidence.