need experience for job but need job for experience

Hello everyone! Firstly, everyone wants experience but how to get one if they will only hire experienced employees?

Secondly and most importantly, having cleared L2 , the only thing I understood is that there are numerous fields where one can work in but having no practical, real world experience, I can’t seem to decide in which field should I go or what do you do in a particular field? How do I figure this out? For example, there is Equity research and Equity Analyst? How should I know if I’ll be good at this or interested in working in this field? Or what is the exact role in this? Just like this, there are so many roles and positions.

Please help me figure it out, give me tips, a head start. I’ll be really grateful. If someone can spare some time, we can discuss over private message.

Catch-22

Don’t look at the job descriptions too closely. Companies often state unrealistic requirements for a job. (5 years of experience, masters degree etc for a entry level position.) And then they end up hiring a kid straight out of college. Apply for work that interests you and see how it goes.

^^I’ll try this.

There is no explanation for you question. Just take the job that seems the best for you, if you don’t like, then leave and find another. Having the previous experience gives you field.

Your premise is flawed. Almost every company hires entry level people in every function. If you don’t break into the field, or get a job that transitions naturally to that field, you might just have missed the opportunity.

Not sure how to answer the second part. That’s really up to you.

The best way to start is doing internships during your college or university days. Doing internships in some fields that are of your key interest help you to understand in which domain your potential lies; internships help you to understand the aspects, the dimensions, and the dynamics of the work and the workplace. As you progress, you will be able to apply for full-time opportunities and settling yourself into these jobs won’t be as challenging due to your prior work experience.

It is also important to network with a wide variety of individuals in your target industry so that you gain an understanding of the job positions and the prerequisites of the job function of the individual/s you encounter.

This is so true. In my previous job I had to interview few candidates with my boss. The positions in question were similar to mine position at the time. My boss used to give me the job description and the candidates CV+cover letter few days before the interview. And let me tell you…those things rarely matched. The job description basically required the candidate to be a rocket scientist with at least 5+ years of relevant industry experience and to be fluent in 4 real languages and 3 coding languages. It was honestly ridiculous. And a bit embarrassing TBH.

I have thought about the discrepancy a bit and I think bosses do it to augment their own importance and self-worth. Instead of accepting their job and it’s requirements as what they actually are, they try “pump it” to appear more attractive. No one want’s to work in a place where the requirement is to have a heart-rate. To fight this, bosses draft job descriptions which look like you’d be interviewing for NASA.

I would not overly worry. Once you have your foot in the door in a big organisation then you can direct your own career. I have worked in a place where people who wanted to work in the investment bank joined the retail arm because the investment bank was too difficult to get into. They worked out where they wanted to be after 6-18 months and started trying to transition. They just networked, asked for a mentor in that area, done job shadowing and got involved in the right projects to make the right connections.

Largely no one refuses to have a coffee if you want to find out more about their area once you are in the door.

A lot of organisation set a high bar for external hires but will take less experienced internal people if they are proven performers for the same role…So just get your foot in the door with a half decent role then work it out.

I agree with everyone above. I would also add network. Identify a few key places that you would love to work at. Then identify the key decision makers in those companies. Who are the hiring managers? Who are the senior level people? Start emailing them for coffee chats. Be ready to be ignored though. Out of 10 emails I would say you’ll probably get only 2 replies.

At the same time, apply to anything that interests you. You never know what will happen until you apply.

Once you get into a company, continue networking. Get involved in your company’s volunteer work. Most companies have committees nowadays that deal with some type of CSR work. Get involved in that. If your company has some type of an internal engagement committee designed to bring employees together, get involved there. These committees are great ways to meet people from other departments and start talking to them. Also email people that you want to talk to from your company. Once you’re in, I doubt anyone will refuse, even if it’s just a brief 15 minute coffee break.

Prove yourself in the company and to those who you meet from other teams. You never know when and where an opportunity will arise.