Take Level II in June 2019 after Dec 2018 Level I or wait until June 2020?

Hey all!

This last Saturday I sat for Level I and I’m trying to decide whether or not to take 3 weeks off before start studying for Level II or wait for June 2020.

I know this can be a recurring thread, but I would like to know your thoughts of this. My one concern for this is that I don’t want to burnout. For Level I, I started with around ~15 hours a week for the first 1-2 months. Then I ramped up to 20-25 hours per week for the last 3 months.

I studied most of the time with Schweser, and some more challenging readings (Derivatives, Fixed Income, PM) with the CFAI textbooks. I think my one major problem was that I took extensive notes for every reading (that I didn’t review either) and I realized of this mistake at the end, at the beginning of October.

So my questions are:

1. Should I go and start studying (after a break) for Level II or wait until June 2020?
  2. If so, what strategy should I have for Level II? How different is compared with Level I?
  3. Any recommendations of prep providers for Level II? I really liked MM for Economics (I didn’t have any Macro in my undergrad, so I picked him because I had only 2 weeks to study Economics).
  4. Should you have any other advice, feel free to comment please!

Thanks in advance! P.S.: Please consider that my native language is Spanish.

Don’t wait. You need to begin preparing for L2 immediately. L2 isn’t even comparable to L1 - believe you me. Skip ethics and start by reading quant, and then equity. That way if you must repeat level 1 you didn’t completely waste your time on topics that won’t strengthen your understanding of topics that appear in level 1.

I had the same question and concerns. Thanks for the insight!! Will follow this protocol.

Without knowing more of what might be going on in your life, my knee jerk response is that you should attempt Level 2 in June 2019. Why do next year (2020) what you could do this year (2019)?

Take level 2 in June and go to the honeymoon.

Thanks guys!

I already decided to do the L2 in June 2019.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Good call. Now, go crush it!