Finance movies

Hey all,

I’ve put together a list of finance related movies that I found entertaining to watch after studying for CFA level 1 last year. Most of them are films that I have already seen, but went back to view again after completing the related CFA study sessions. I found that I gained more insight and had a more thorough understanding of the films’ content after studying the CFA CBOK at level 1 (and even more with what I have completed on level 2 so far).

Originally, I was going to keep this list to myself for viewing during my level 2 study, but think it is beneficial to share it with everyone here. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for films that can be added to the list.

Money For Nothing: Inside the Federal Reserve (2013): Economics, Fixed Income (Documentary)

Wall Street (1987): Equity, Corporate Finance, Ethics

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010): Economics, Fixed income, Equity, Ethics

Inside Job (2010): Fixed income, Derivatives, Ethics (Documentary)

Margin Call (2011): Fixed Income, Quantitative Methods, Ethics

The Big Short (2015): Fixed Income, Derivatives, Ethics

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005): Corporate Finance, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Ethics

Rogue Trader (1999): Derivatives

Trading Places (1993): Derivatives

Other People’s Money (1991): Corporate Finance, Equity

Barbarians at the Gate (1993): Corporate Finance, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Alternative Investments

Arbitrage (2012): Alternative Investments, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Corporate Finance

Betting on Zero (2016): Alternative Investments, Equity

The China Hustle (2017): Equity

Equity (2016): Equity, Ethics, Alternative Investments

Money Monster (2016): Equity, Ethics, Quantitative Methods

Too Big to Fail (2011): Fixed Income, Economics, Ethics

Madoff (2016): Equity, Ethics, Derivatives, Economics (Mini-series)

The Wizard of Lies (2017): Equity, Derivatives, Ethics

Billions (2016-present): Equity, Fixed Income, Portfolio Management, Economics, Alternative Investments, Ethics (TV show)

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013): Ethics & Rest & Relaxation before exam

I would add a couple:

Boiler Room (2000): Equity, Ethics.

Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street (2010): Documentary, haven’t watched but it was fairly cited. Movies not directly related with Wall Street, but are entertaining:

The Game (1997)

American Psycho (2000): A classic.

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)