CFA & CPA

Hi Guys,

Just a question; do you think it will be beneficial to get both the CPA & CFA ? or will doing the other Cert be a complete waste of time ?

What do you plan to do for a living?

It depends on your job, interests, motivation, etc. I’m a CPA and work at a family office. CFA curriculum is interesting to me and adds value since our office has our hands in all facets of wealth planning.

Now, if your in the tax department of an accounting firm, it may not make much sense to do the CFA…or conversely a Investment manager it may not make sense to the CPA.

So, yes, it just depends.

Thank you for your response but do you think ill be considered more valuable to different organisatins having both certifications ?

Hey, i was planning to be a business man but later in life. for now, i really just want to work for banks and financial institutions.

im looking for a job that is in high demand but in lack of suplply

do machine learning then. There’s no spot in the financial industry (requiring a finance background, that is) which is in “high demand, low supply”. That is really the IT world you need to look into.

In your early stage of career, to get both CPA and CFA would be beneficial as they give you a wide range of opportunities but if you have worked for more than 10 years, experience prevails certificate.

P.S, I’m a CPA and have CFA charter but truth is market recognizes experience more than certificates.

I have both CPA and CFA. FYI - I work in a tax practice in an area where there is no institutional portfolio management.

So far, I have found CFA to be virtually useless. If I lived in a bigger metropolitan area where there were family offices or large RIA wealth managers (like Tolleson in Dallas or South Texas Money Management in San Antonio or Goodman Financial in Houston), then having both would probably be a boon.

The question shouldn’t be “is having both an asset?” The answer is undoubtedly “yes”. The question you should be asking is “what do I want to do for a living? And knowing that, which designations are worth the time, effort, and tuition costs?”

i mean its stupid to advertise the cfa when you are doing taxes, clearly no one cares