Age limit to pursue CFA from someone in a totally different field

I need advice from you more experienced folks out there. I am in my mid 30s and not in finance but works for a financial firm. I am thinking about pursuing CFA. If I pass Level 1, I will search for an entry level investment related role. By the time I will be done with the exams and with 48 months of related experience, I will be in my early 40s. With perhaps 15 years left in my working life, is it wise to even attempt to pursue this career change?

Thanks in advance!

I was 40 when I got my charter.

I think it depends on the area you want and if you have kids.

1- After your 30s, some areas become rly hard to apply, even for an entry level job.

2- If you have kids, maybe its not a good idea to start the CFA jorney now.

But if it’s your dream, go for it. If I were you, I would at least try level 1 and see how it goes.

I’m 43.

The answer to the title question, by the way, is 109.

I was 40 when I got my charter. I can imagine the future might bring many more older candidates as careers now have 5-year lifetimes. Many computer folks gaining charter for “domain expertise” as they start their fintech companies.

I’ve just registered for the Level 1 exam next June. I’m 42 though have been considering this path of study for a number of years and now my life is in a place where I am able to give it a go. Go for it…and good luck!

Im 40 and got my charter this year. I also have zero accounting knowledge prior to the exams. I’m also part of the 3 for 3 club.

no excuses, not age or lack of experience is a relevant excuse.

I’m not sure how, at appx. age of 45, you have “perhaps 15 years left in my working life,” but that’s not relevant to what I’m going to say here.

I was 62 and a CPA when I got my charter. I’m also an accredited senior appraiser (ASA) in business valuation, a designation issued by the American Society of Appraisers. For non-CPAs, it requires 10,000 billable hours of valuation experience.

Still and all, the charter is the professional accomplishment of which I’m the proudest.

1 Like

Thank you all. I am now determined to pursue this path and have communicated with my management cuz I am asking for funding. Depending on my Level 1 success, I may or may not pursue this path.

Good luck to you all as well!! GAMBATE!

Ghez, you got your charter like 20 years ago… i didnt know you are a senior now. Will have to give you senior citizen respect moving forward. :+1:

You better believe it, sonny boy!