how to keep up with all the things you learned in the CFA program, in your post charter life

I have put away my CFA study material after passing my level 3. But every now and then i wonder, i have put massive amount of learning into getting the charter, but how do i retain all that? I wish there was a self test that the institute can roll out to see if you are up to par, years after obtaining the charter… with only one caveat that the test would be treated as tool for self assessment and not a measure of professional competence.

how are the other charter holders staying in touch with the knowledge gained?

Why on earth would you torture yourself with a test? Just do some continuing ed and go live your life!!!

By trying to teach it to youse guys.

1 Like

I will look forward to learn something in depth which is relevant to my work. I will dig dipper into Derivatives/Fixed Income/Alts/Risk Management/Quants areas and will definitely never bother about if I remember FRA/Equity Valuation well unless they come up again.

Yeah, at times I go to local coaching centers, and do some part time teaching.

I don’t think you can or should retain all that. I learned a lot of stuff in college as well that I could relearn if I need to, same for CFA. I think you should be pushing in the direction you want to go. If you want to work in equities or debt, keep learning and building relevant experience and knowledge in what you want.

Once I learn something I never forget!

Read the forum and try answering questions raised by candidates.

By trading options, stocks, bonds, futures and hedge funds of course!

But not FX?

PSH!

FX is part of my hedge funds play!

Hi, Everyone.

Interesting thread on life after you obtain your charter. I work for CFA Institute and am responsible for the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Platform—our collection of digital products and services to help you keep up with all the things you learned in the CFA program.

We’re looking for feedback regarding our digital products (website, mobile apps, etc.) and content (articles, videos, etc.). If your status is CFA charter pending or CFA charterholder of less than 5 years, and you would like to participate in a 30 minute interview, please respond to my comment here and/or reach out to me on LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeromecann/ (please do not post any personal contact information here).

We won’t be able to interview everyone, but we will acknowledge your interest and may reach out to you to schedule an interview.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer any financial compensation for your time or ideas. However, we sincerely appreciate your feedback and will do our best to make the most of it.

Jerome

I will trade for the interview. I would like to see 2019 AM paper, since that is no longer being offered to the public :angry:

Hmmm, I’m not sure what you’re looking for. I don’t work with the CFA Program (curriculum, testing, etc.), but if you can explain what you’re looking for, I’d be happy to ask my peers about it.

Is it something that is normally made available and you simply can’t find it?

Is it something that is only made available for a limited time, which has expired?

Jerome

Every year, the prior Level3 morning paper is published around January. On CFAI’s website is usually several years worth of Level3 morning papers, and if you search a bit, you can find the papers going as far back as 2003.

I was notified this year, the 2019 exams will not longer be published! And it looks like moving forward, its going to be that way.

Every year, around the end of December, CFA Institute would publish on its website that year’s Level III morning exam questions and guideline answers as a study aid for the Level III candidates.

As of 2019, they’ve decided to stop doing that, which I and most candidates believe is a real shame, as it has always proven to be an excellent study tool.

If you want to research it – and, perhaps, try to get the decision rescinded – I encourage you to talk to Dan McKenna, Manager, Supplemental Study Tool, CFA Institute.

I would LOVE to share my opinion.

Let them struggle!

Thanks for the background, and especially for the point-of-contact. I’ll reach out to Dan McKenna and see if I can get and share an explanation with you, preferably a discussion with those in the know!

Jerome

We would LOVE to have it!

I believe sharing contact information in this forum is a violation of the forum terms of service, and it’s just not a good idea in general. Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn and we’ll try to pull you into the study.

Jerome

I would also like to give my opinion and have added you on Linkedin.

I also think you should go back to the tradition of giving the CFA SWAG to new Charterholders. The time, commitment, energy and sacrifices one puts to for the CFA journey the swag definitely has some symbolic reference and reward.

https://imgur.com/a/vVGRcoj