Resign to study for L3?

Background

• Undergrad and master’s in engineering
  • Completed MBA at a non-target and switched to strategy/corp dev - 6 years
  • Currently working ridiculous hours as a glorified accountant in FP&A
  • Have a family with young children I don’t see enough of
  • Passed L2 June 2019

Ultimate goal is to get into portfolio management. If I pass L3 in June, I’ll have the charter locked in because my experience is already in place. I don’t anticipate having enough time to work at my current role + study for the exam.

Options -

• Resign and study until June, then try to find a role in the industry (Dallas)
  • Try to get an industry role like equity research now that will parlay into portfolio management. Hopefully L2 is enough to at least get a foot in the door.

Thoughts? Advice? I’m really sick of wasting my nights and weekends in a role that I don’t give a shit about. Also, I’m concerned about the hours required in ER and PM. Are they typically insane? If so, maybe becoming an advisor would be a better fit.

It’s a great choice, I truly think. When I’ve started studying on my faculty, I’ve heard a lot rumors that we will have to write essays for our exams, etc. That’s why I’ve thought it’s through and found a great essay writer for those paper writing work. I’m glad that we can choose from dozens online writing agencies who have awesome PhD writers.

Every situation is different but I’d advise against quitting your job to study for L3. Becoming a charterholder doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be able to break into the role you’re looking for. In addition, after getting your charter, you’ll be in a situation where you have to find a job and that’s not a very good position to be in.

You want to explain gaps in your resume like that to someone? Good luck making it not sound like you quit when things get hard.

I agree with him,

I advise you to book a month or two before the exam (even unpaid vacation off). That way your still employed and the firm can be aware of your proactive efforts.

never quit. get laid off!

#FTFY

So, I attended a CFA prep class with a couple of people who weren’t working. One of them had quit to study for the CFA. I don’t think either attained their charter.

I had two small kids, a full time job, and was able to fit in study hours so my work didn’t notice and my family barely noticed. With careful time management, it’s quite doable.

You will probably find that trying to switch jobs takes up a lot of time and energy. Trying to do that while studying and having a demanding job probably won’t work. If you have a small number of places to talk to, do it. If you have no particular place in mind, don’t.