Your bonus: quarterly or annual??

I’m looking at an offer from an Canadian BB in investment banking (analyst position)…I’m wondering if most people get bonused out each quarter or once a year?? Also, if you’re an analyst at a BB, how much (if any) client interaction do you get? Do you even get to go into the pitch?

fairly sure bonuses for an entry level position are annual, but someone may correct me on that…

ibank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m looking at an offer from an Canadian BB in > investment banking (analyst position)…I’m > wondering if most people get bonused out each > quarter or once a year?? > > Also, if you’re an analyst at a BB, how much (if > any) client interaction do you get? Do you even > get to go into the pitch? Annual bonus. You occasionally go to the pitch. This is surprisingly boring and the best thing about it is the day out the office and a few airmiles. In 1 year in banking, I think I went to 4 pitches (in other countries) and perhaps another 3 meetings in London. You’d likely get zero interaction at the pitch (unless there is a technical question about a model). Your client interaction comes from working on a deal. So, for instance, I chaperoned a load of meeting b/n the management team of a company we were trying to sell and potential bidders (financial sponsors, in this case). I also spoke to them loads about requests from potential bidders for additional information, planned meetings / briefings etc. None of this gave me an erection.

I think some sales people get quarterly bonuses (really just a commission renamed), but I’ve never heard of analysts and PMs getting anything but annual.

what’s a “canadian BB”? isn’t a BB firm in the US considered BB most other places of the world? does that make macquarie an “australian BB”?

numi: i’ve just assumed that BB = Big Bank…am i wrong??

there’s no such thing as a Cdn BB… BB does not equal Cda Big Bank on this forum…

BB = “Bulge Bracket”, (e.g. Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Merryl Lynch, and possibly one or two others). BB = the rate on BB debt???

i know pitches aren’t exactly the most exciting part of my day, but it breaks up the monotony of building comp tables all day… plus if you work all night on a pitch, it’d be nice to see i through… at a small shop, if you worked on the pitch, you go into the meeting…i was just wondering if the banks treated their analysts the same way. etienne: did you actually get to travel?? that’s pretty cool. i like airmiles!

sorry, my bad.

ibank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i know pitches aren’t exactly the most exciting > part of my day, but it breaks up the monotony of > building comp tables all day… > > plus if you work all night on a pitch, it’d be > nice to see i through… > > at a small shop, if you worked on the pitch, you > go into the meeting…i was just wondering if the > banks treated their analysts the same way. > > etienne: did you actually get to travel?? that’s > pretty cool. i like airmiles! Yeah. Went to a couple places you’d probably never go otherwise. I worked directly beneath a director, which probably helped. That said, other analysts in my year also travelled a little.

very cool. were u at a canadian bank?

ibank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > very cool. were u at a canadian bank? American bank in London.

Yank Bank?

sounds like a sperm bank

trust me ibank…travelling for work gets old. quickly

Ha! I used to think traveling for work was awesome. Then I actually started traveling for work a lot. I get air miles, but on 87345702 different airlines, so it still takes awhile for them to build up to a significant amount on any given airline. Most of my travel involves getting in and out, without time to actually experience the location to any great degree. But sometimes (rarely) it’s fun.

When I was single, it was nice to try to append a weekend on my travels and enjoy the locations if it was possible to do so. Nowadays, I have someone at home who will be upset if I’m away any longer than necessary.

^ | ya if you can stay an extra weekend and fly back on the sunday night, then its a great way to see places for very little money. i just hate having to go to houston (which i do often). can’t stand that city…