Cover Letter

How does this look? I am extremely interested in obtaining the XXX position currently available at XXX. Given my prior work experience and educational background, I have complete confidence in my ability to make an immediate and effective impact in this role. In May 2007, I attained an MBA from XXX with a dual concentration in Finance and Accounting, and in December 2007, I completed the CFA Level I examination (currently a CFA Level II candidate). I have taken several self-study courses in financial modeling at “Training the Street” and “Wall Street Prep,” and have become quite adept in these areas. Most importantly, I have been successful in each position held during my career, as highlighted by rapid promotions to Senior Analyst and Management, and firmly believe that I can provide value-added contributions in many areas within your organization. Thank you very much for your time and consideration, I look forward to discussing with you the ways I can contribute to XXX’s future. Sincerely,

It seems rather generic. Companies really love it when you tailor it to them in the body of the cover letter. So you in the job positing, they normally list the skills they are looking for. … i would make sure you hit all of them and say how you have those skills.

value-added is an over used term. “I have complete confidence in my ability to make an immediate and effective impact in this role.” - that doesn’t tell me anything and its boring to read, which isn’t good because its your second sentence. And the cover letter doesn’t tell me anything. I could just look at your resume instead of reading the cover letter. (such as where you went to school rather than what you learned that i might care about). the best part of your cover letter is your "“Training the Street” and “Wall Street Prep,” but again, i could flip to the resume to see that. SOOO tell me why your completion of that is of interest to me. I’m trying to be harsh here so you can see how much work this cover letter needs.

“I have complete confidence in my ability to make an immediate and effective impact in this role.” prove it. give examples.

Thanks guys…time to go back to the drawing board

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How does this look? > > I am extremely interested in obtaining the XXX > position currently available at XXX. Why are you interested? Is there something specific and or relevant you can say about what interests you. Given my > prior work experience and educational background, > I have complete confidence in my ability to make > an immediate and effective impact in this role. That’s super that you think you can, but can you express how you’ve demonstrated your capabilities? > > In May 2007, I attained an MBA from XXX with a > dual concentration in Finance and Accounting, and > in December 2007, I completed the CFA Level I > examination (currently a CFA Level II candidate). Grammar! Also, you can just say that you are CFA Level II candidate. > I have taken several self-study courses in > financial modeling at “Training the Street” and > “Wall Street Prep,” and have become quite adept in > these areas. Most importantly, I have been > successful in each position held during my career, > as highlighted by rapid promotions to Senior > Analyst and Management, and firmly believe that I > can provide value-added contributions in many > areas within your organization. A bit generic and could use a relevant example of how you ‘added-value’. > > Thank you very much for your time and > consideration, I look forward to discussing with > you the ways I can contribute to XXX’s future. > > > Sincerely, Hope this helps.