Question for Moderator: deleted posts?

Hi Chad, I’ve noticed in the last couple weeks that a copious number of threads disappearing from this forum. If I recall correctly, a handful of them did not violate the “Message Board Rules” or “AnalystForum Netiquette” stickies. As moderator, can you please enumerate and explain the reasons for the removal of certain threads, and/or rather than deleting them, why not lock them in case the discussion goes off on a tangent? These are some personal suggestions for what is otherwise a well-run site, but I offer them because wallstreetoasis.com and other finance-related forums have these features and have done a very fine job with self-moderating. It’d also be good to understand what type of postings are likely to be removed. I assumed that “General Discussion” entailed all things generally pertinent to finance as long as they didn’t violate the rules you mentioned above. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

I noticed my Boston post got axed in which I asked serious questions about the city, but some really crazy posts are still around.

Numi, General Discussion is a forum to discuss issues related to the CFA exam. I don’t think finance-related posts will create an issue, but non-finance topics will be removed. As you probably know, there was a section called Off Topic which turned into a cancer, taking up a lot of time and bandwidth while contributing absolutely no value to the forum. The last thing I want is for Generall Discussion to turn into another Off Topic. Thanks for your contribution to the forum. Chad

Sheyzer!!! Veee must stay on zee topic! I posted a link to some really wacko mexican technical analysis that got deleted. CFA covers technical analysis.

Well, I personally think I had lots of valuable things to say on OT. A few stupid things too, maybe. Anyway, cut it Virgin - it’s Chad’s forum and he can delete whatever he wants.

Shouldn’t this thread be deleted :slight_smile:

Don’t let people know about that link, Washington. It’s our little secret.

I’m running out of screen names.

NakedPuts I kind of recognize that acerbic wit. Do I know you from somewhere?

I guarantee you it’s all the… “Hello all, I work in IT but my under grad is in History from a University less than 50 years old, paradoxical I know but hear me out before you beraid me with insults. I work down the hall, and three floors down from the Portfolio Management team of my firm and I was wondering how hard it would be to make the transition from IT with a degree in History from a paradoxically youthful university to Portfolio Management. The Portfolio Manager I spoke with mentioned that I should earn my CFA designation, while the Institutional Sales Director gasped when he heard me repeat what the Portfolio Manager had told me and said that the only reason why anyone would say such a thing would be to befuddle the truth. The IS Director said that the CFA is the poor man’s MBA and it will never get you serious consideration from Instutional Clients. With this knowledge in hand, I returned to the Portfolio Manager to challenge him on his assertion that the CFA was indeed superior and you know, he told me that the most important thing to remember is that the only reason why god created the MBA is so that people with more money than brains could have a credential as well. With that as a backdrop and keeping in mind that while I can probably attain an offer from a Tier 1 MBA school while only attaining funding for a Tier 2 out of state school, which is my best route to take if my career objective is to become a successful Venture Capitalist?” …posts, which get [rightfully] nuked. Willy

Last night I had a vivid dream that AFOT was back. There they were in all their glory, Grailmail, Big Chinn, Cinton, Titansrule, JParker, Lion 2004, CFASue. Dwayne Pipe, Ali Ackbar, Byebyesociallifecomeapril, MGM, Douchbag. We were having an in-depth discussion on whether Candycotten was actually a girl or a guy pretending to be a girl. I woke up wanting to believe the dream was real. I logged on to AF but alas it was not to be. I like to think that one day I will talk to them again in that big online forum in the sky. God I’m so alone.

That was really well-written WillyR. I’m impressed. Honestly, I didn’t think you had it in you to be so clever and creative! Bravo! I guess purble and yellow are working.

Hey Willy…nice.

I also beleive numi is pointing to the Zito/Derrick Rose is a dummy posts. Its a shame, because I bet most of us here only know about 2 things mainly sports and finance, and when you take away one of those, it really doesn’t leave with that much to discuss. It seems everyday Willy lives in TO longer, the closer he will go to pulling a bateman.

i hadn’t even thought about the zito/rose is a dummy posts, but now that you mention it, those were pretty interesting. but one that stands out is the thread whose subject line was something to the effect of “finance pimp under age 30” – interesting title, but the content of that thread was somewhat useful as far as i can remember. i understand that “pimp” might be somewhat objectionable, but i think if moderated, it could have been changed to “pump,” or “pamp” (as people in certain parts of our country would say). but of course, that’s neither here nor there, since that thread is gone.

Used in a sentence: “My pamp ate too much poak’ n’ beans.”

AnalystForum Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Numi, > > General Discussion is a forum to discuss issues > related to the CFA exam. I don’t think > finance-related posts will create an issue, but > non-finance topics will be removed. As you > probably know, there was a section called Off > Topic which turned into a cancer, taking up a lot > of time and bandwidth while contributing > absolutely no value to the forum. The last thing I > want is for Generall Discussion to turn into > another Off Topic. > > Thanks for your contribution to the forum. > > Chad Don’t you think you should throw Numi a bone here? he correctly answers a lot of stupid questions from the type of people you’re trying to attract to this forums and discredits a lot of the incorrect answers that a lot of people throw out there. Based on this, don’t you think it makes sense to throw the outgoing guy a bone here and there and let him talk about shoes now and then? The board gets a lot more out of his posts than he does…

“Finance Pamp” hahaha, thats awesome…

The only way we’d get OT back is if we agreed to a mass purchase of Fetch XL

Of all the threads on AF, how could this thread have gone all to heck?