Investment Banking Institute Course

I am thinking about taking the Investment Banking course at the Investment Banking Institute (http://www.ibtraining.com) and was hoping someone who has taken the course or heard about it could share their experience. I work in asset management and don’t really use financial modeling and valuations but I figured it’s a good thing to learn. The course costs $2300. It’s an 8 day course (sat & sun) and each class is 3.5 hours long so 28 hours total. My company will pay for it so I’m not worried about the cost. Is this something worthwhile or can you guys recommend some other instructor-led course perhaps cheaper? I also got the wall st prep books from work but I didn’t find those to be of great help. If anyone knows about this course or any other classroom format course, please share your thoughts. By the way, I already searched for it and found one thread but no one had commented on it.

I’ve heard on other forums, its really over-priced but for you - your company is paying for it, so no worries in that regard. Its useful to the extent that you think you will not learn financial modelling yourself, if so its a good way to learn financial modelling. thats my 2c…

Thanks preetchawla. Has anyone here taken the course? What did you think about it? Anyone know of a comparable program?

Positive, It’s a shit course. My friend too it last batch and it was a joke in front of CFA and there is no value addition, nothing that you can ‘add on’ to your resume. All in all you lose a heck lot of money and get a few CD’s and binder notes in return. yikes!! Please don’t go for it!

Why would you compare it with CFA? They are in completely differently leagues and I’m not really trying to add something to my resume. And as I mentioned, my company is paying for it so I’m losing any money out of my pocket. Can someone who has taken the course comment on the quality of the content or suggest a comparable instructor-led modeling/valuation course? Thanks

Hi Preet… What is the best way to learn financial modeling on your own?

A Morgan Stanley Guy told me TraintheStreet is a good training institution and it provides most of the ibank with the training program during summer. But I read one post saying it is very basic, good for those liberal arts students. Considering its cost $2000 ( a bit high for a student), I buy the wall street prep. The premier package is $499. I am still waiting for it and have not tried yet. Anyway, if you want to buy, you can use my referral code: REF10152 and get 15% discount.

Wall Street Prep and Training the Street are pretty similar and a lot of the major investment banks source them for modeling training. Avoid Investment Banking Institute.

Numi, what makes you say that about IBI? I just spoke to a friend who took a course with them and he said it was good. Have you had any personal experience with them or know of someone who did? As I mentioned, my company is paying for it so I don’t care how much it costs. I just don’t want to waste my time and want to make sure I take the right course.

Well, I have generally heard more positive things about Wall Street Prep and Training the Street. DealMaven is also good if you want to focus on modeling. Overall I think IBI would be OK too, but I’ve just heard some mixed reviews. Plus, one thing that I’ve heard is that they talk about how a majority of the people who took their course end up getting placed in investment banking, but I don’t know if this is something that’s been substantiated. Seems like good marketing strategy, but a pretty bold claim. However, I’m sure you’ll learn stuff in the course you’re taking, because some people have definitely found it helpful. Maybe my word “avoid” is too strong. But the three or four-day programs I think are too short and compacted to be of any real use (in case you were thinking about those too). Try the search function on wallstreetoasis.com – there are other users who’ve taken courses there and can provide you with additional opinions.

I work at 230 Park, the same location as the New York IBI. We have a small little office. Unbeknownst to me, the IBI trains right next door, like five feet away. One guy came into our office looking for the IBI today and thats how I found out. I’ll do some reconnaissance for you guys, maybe I can steal some notes from the trash. Or hook up with the cleaning lady and have her help me out. It would be a good change of pace.

I’m serious though, it piqued my interest when this kid came in and asked today about the IBI because I had read this post a few days ago and plus on my GMAIL the IBI is always advertising. My thoughts from just looking at the people were they were mostly nobodies looking to break into the field (mostly young kids with money to burn), and I seriously doubt 28 hours of remedial accounting and business valuation is going to help out. Honestly, we keep our office door open and I stay late most nights so I hear them coming outside taking coffee breaks. They were talking about the most basic stuff. I checked out the “experienced senior banker”. She was about 28 years old, slim but not attractive and looked like she knew she was a tool for doing this, like it was all some big scam and she couldn’t cut it as an IBanker. Get back to me, if you are in the NYC class you’ll see me walking the hallways looking unkempt and haggard.

mto1985 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll do some reconnaissance for you guys, maybe I > can steal some notes from the trash. Or hook up > with the cleaning lady and have her help me out. > It would be a good change of pace. if she’s hot, then everybody wins…if she’s not, well, you’ll still take one for the team right?

Doing it for the team. Nuff said. We buy a lot of food each day and she takes whatever is left over. I dont mind but it makes me feel real bad for her when she is scavenging through our remains. I stayed late tonight and ordered a pie and gave her a few slices so I’m sure food is as good as sex. Plus I got to see her office, more like cave that she works out of, and possibly sleeps in, so we’ve essentially done it.

this “I-banking institute” sounds freaking horrible.