FRM 2008

For those planning to take the November 2008 FRM exam, how are you doing? Perhaps this can be an easily accessible and centralized discussion for this exam, with feedback from JDV and past takers/passers… (please use the search function to quickly check before posting so we don’t have too much overlap) 1. I’ve started skimming, but June 8th is when I will start full force. If there’s anyone in the Boston area who wants to form a study group, please let me know. 2. I’ve ordered Schweser but they have not yet sent me their printed materials. 3. The list of materials at [http://www.garpdigitallibrary.org/display/frm.asp] include: a. Free readings b. Paid coursepack (1 of 2) c. Paid coursepack (2 of 2) [still says “coming soon”] d. Financial Risk Manager Handbook by Jorion

I am interested in FRM 2008. After the FRM stuff, my charters will be longer than my name & it means I have achieved Nirvana for life. My annual dues for CFA, MBA Alumni and CAIA are a significant % of my salary now ! What is the annual membership for FRM & What is the exam Fee?

dude… what a post for today! FRM is well worth your effort. It will cost you around 1000 for exam + preparation. Membership due is 150/year.

i’ve been considering this…how difficult is this exam if you have level 3? somewhere says 250 hours studying…is this accurate, or only accurate if you don’t know anything? …nevermind, just found a post asking the same question…

cfa_mba_caia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am interested in FRM 2008. After the FRM stuff, > my charters will be longer than my name & it means > I have achieved Nirvana for life. > > My annual dues for CFA, MBA Alumni and CAIA are a > significant % of my salary now ! > > What is the annual membership for FRM & What is > the exam Fee? lol

prm has no annual fee …

I have considered it for Nov 08, bought the FRM Handbook, skimmed it and it doesnt appear to difficult if you have completed all 3 CFA levels.

The full paid coursepack is finally available. You can either get the supplement (#3c in my first post above, they call it “Version 1.0 - supplement”) to version 1.0 (#3b above) [http://www.garpdigitallibrary.org/display/cp_display.asp?cpid=825] for an additional: $130 if GARP member (the price if you are registered for the November exam) $170 if non-member I got 30% off since I already had the first version. Shipping is the usually $8 - $16 depending on the delivery method. …or you get everything combined (they call this bundle version 2.0) [http://www.garpdigitallibrary.org/display/frm_course_pack.asp] for: $360 if GARP member $460 if non-member 2 more weeks…after the CFA exam and I’m going to start hitting (getting hit by) the FRM 2008 material. If anyone in Boston would like to meet up, please let me know!

Check out Bionic Turtle . com, they appear to have some decent stuff.

Bostonkev, I’ve bought coursepack v1 and Schweser. Do you think that’s enough for preparation for the exam? I don’t want to spend another $140 for the supplements.

Hi Mayrain, It seems to me from checking out last year’s thread that people who didn’t think they were going to pass after feeling like they did horribly (as well as actually doing horribly) “still” passed. I myself haven’t started besides skimming the first 3-5 readings, so I can’t say for sure, but I think what you have might be enough…though it might make you feel better during the following times: 1. going into the test 2. between finishing and getting the results 3. after getting a favorable outcome [so that you feel you deserved it] if you get that extra coursepack and really bust your arse during the preparation phase. I consider the FRM curriculum as just a focused guide (and admittedly an “introduction” since serious risk management professionals might have MS or PhDs in, or equivalent understanding of, the relevant fields) for my own learning, so that I don’t have to filter through the effectively infinite amount of information in what little free time I have to get to the good stuff. Hopefully the curriculum does that to some degree for me. It’s material I consider very interesting intrinsically and I’m just trying to learn as much I can. Good luck! I’ll need it as well.

So how many hrs of FRM are needed if you already did the CFA

bump… anyone has a clue how many hrs are needed.

I would say that CFA helps you on 20%. 200 hrs would be fine (assuming no prior knowledge of RM or prior studies in finance)

I am starting tonight, right now!!! Paid reading #1: “Quantifying volatility in VaR models” - by Allen, Boudoukh, Saunders!

I don’t plan on doing FRM or PRM in the near future, but I’ve heard that the PRM is the better curriculum with more practical quant. Not to mention the lower costs and easy flexibility for taking tests(schedule anytime) and a membership base that is only slightly lower than fRM.

FRM is a money eating machine, that’s why PRM was born

After seeing PRM have 51k members and growing, most likely leaning toward PRM. The material is way more interesting

FYI: http://pristinecareers.com/FAQ.htm PRM vs FRM comparison on the bottom.

I am doing FRM in November too, wish I’d known about the PRM … this thread is a good idea. I will start studying next week. Great to find others here.