getting a job as an investment analyst or research analyst

I am current working as a performance analyst at a large private bank in new york but i feel like the learning curve is coming to a peak and i want to get a job. there are few jobs that i am really interested in. i would love to work with a pm as an investment analyst, researching investment ideas and monitoring the market conditions for recommendations. i am also very interested in working at a hedge fund (or fund of funds) as a research analyst. i guess i am really looking for a more dynamic job where i will gain great experience in understanding the market and where i can learn to perform in-depth research. that’s one of the main reasons i took the cfa to improve my qualifications(passed l1 and took l2 in june). But it seems extremely hard for someone with my current experience (close to 2 yrs in performance and 1year in fund accounting) to move into roles mentioned above (even if it weren’t for the market conditions). most of the times, i dont’ think employers even consider me for the job b/c of lack of related experience (they usually want someone w/ ibanking, research, experience or previous experience in hedge fund industry) what steps can i take to improve my qualifications and to get a job in those areas? thanks!

get junior role to start or get referral

One path that I have been told is a little easier is investment consulting. Check out the sectors explained section on efinancialcareers.com for a good concise explanation. It sounds interesting, particularly researching different fund managers. Firms such as Aon, Hewitt, RogersCasey are very reputable in this business. Performance analysis is not an uncommon place to start, so with that experience under your belt you might have a better shot at an investment analyst job at one of these firms. Also, lily is right on with referals. Networking is critical in any finance sub-sector.