Volunteering

I am trying to break into Research but not getting too far due to the current job market scenario. Has any of you heard of Analysts using volunteers or offering unpaid positions ? Atleast , I will get some Research experience on my resume. Thoughts ?

You know what they say about volunteering? It doesn’t pay.

Of course. But , gets my 4 years clock towards the charter ticking and gets me some experience and contacts.

Of course. But , gets my 4 years clock towards the charter ticking and gets me some experience and contacts.

Volunteering or internships can be a good opportunity to gain experience and meet new contacts. However, it doesn’t count towards work experience requirements for the CFA charter.

Really ?? Why ? Does the position need to be a paid position to be considered as valid experience for the charter ?

1. Four years (48 months) of work experience in … 2. A full-time position consisting of … 3. Qualifying activities, such as: Evaluating and applying financial, economic, or statistical data involving securities or other investments, or producing work that adds value to the process Supervising persons who practice such activities Teaching such activities Learn more about the types of membership and membership requirements. How much work experience do I need? Four years (48 months) of acceptable professional work experience are required for regular membership. This experience may be accrued while you’re in the CFA Program, after you’ve passed all three exam levels, or from previous positions. Just remember that you must be a regular member to be eligible for the CFA charter. What’s acceptable work experience? You are required to spend at least 50 percent of your time in qualifying activities to accrue your required professional work experience. Summer, part-time, and internship positions do not qualify. Managing your own investments does not qualify. Qualifying activities include being: Directly involved in the investment decision-making process or Engaged in responsibilities and/or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process

OK.

I agree with Taz on this one, nowhere in the above description did it say the job had to be a paid one. If you take on a unpaid job that is longer than a summer internship then I can see no reason that it would be excluded from the required experience. The question is whether Taz is willing to go as long as would be needed to have the volunteer stint seen as a job and not an internship (all the time without pay). That’s my view on that one, anybody who has worked specifically in the field please correct me.

I would be shocked if doing something as a volunteer for 40 hours a week and no money will count when doing it as an intern for money wont count. I doubt they let volunteering count…

kevin: “Managing your own investments does not qualify.” Does this mean prop trading doesn’t count towards work experience?

"You are required to spend at least 50 percent of your time in qualifying activities to accrue your required professional work experience. Summer, part-time, and internship positions do not qualify. Managing your own investments does not qualify. " Interesting… so does a full-time unpaid internship where you spend over half your time doing qualifying activities count? Just wondering, I’ve got a full-time paid position but thought this info might help others… A full-time unpaid internship would be tough especially if it doesn’t qualify for CFA work experience.

Not sure, CFAI rules, not mine…

maybe the place where u volunteer can pay u a very nominal fee…then it cannot technically be called ‘volunteering’.

DAJ: "so does a full-time unpaid internship where you spend over half your time doing qualifying activities count? " CFA: “internship positions do not qualify” QED.

When I started the CFA program it was 36 months of experience.