DOW: October 30, 1998 - October 27, 2008

Just thought this was interesting: 10/30/1998: 8,452 10/27/2008: 8,565 So we are up 113 points from 10 years ago as of right now.

even with divs, people didn’t come close to maintaing purchasing power…not to mention transaction costs etc.

I think the buy-and-hold strategy has officially been debunked.

Nah, the new buy-and-hold strategy is to get your gf breast implants.

Nothing wrong with a long term buy and hold with some rebalancing…at least I don’t think…but this issue is always explosive to financial gurus…

Its as though this whole thing never happened. Willy

1/14/1966: Dow Closed 987 1/14/1983: Dow Closed 1081 1966 end of the Post War boom. 1974 is when the Dow made it’s bottom for the 1966-1983 era. (8 years after the end of the boom) 2000 end of the tech/internet boom. (2008?) is when the Dow made it’s bottom for the 2000-2017 era? (8 years after the end of boom)

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the buy-and-hold strategy has officially > been debunked. What? This isn’t even the worst 10 year period on record, and it’s extremely arbitrarily chosen.

I have 6k in a savings account now. I was going to put it in the markets but I think I will follow Joey’s advice. It’s a win-win situation, I will always be up.

USFbulls Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have 6k in a savings account now. I was going > to put it in the markets but I think I will follow > Joey’s advice. It’s a win-win situation, I will > always be up. Nothing is win-win. Wait until all the guys start hitting on her. She’ll realize her worth in no time.

“Nothing is win-win. Wait until all the guys start hitting on her. She’ll realize her worth in no time.” Ha ha he will lose her in no time.

That comment sounds like you have had some experience with this.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kkent Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think the buy-and-hold strategy has > officially > > been debunked. > > What? This isn’t even the worst 10 year period on > record, and it’s extremely arbitrarily chosen. Exactly, if someone used the early 80’s trough to the March 2000, or even early 90’s trough to March 2000 the analysis suddenly seems very different. Data mining…

Gold prices:Oct 27 1998 : 293 Oct 27 2008 728 . and there are still skeptics.its unbelievable ,but hey we need all kinds to make up a market

“Nah, the new buy-and-hold strategy is to get your gf breast implants.” Great Quote.

The quote didn’t specify who gets to hold. Win-win for her.

Dollar cost averaging has been a disaster.

It’s not data mining. Today is today. Data mining would be going back to, say, February 2006 to prove a point. October 27 (the most recent trading day as of this moment) is not “arbitrary”–that’s absurd. A 10-year period is a sufficiently long-term trend. We use the 10-year Treasury to price commercial real estate. “Buy-and-hold” also infers buying and holding, not selling in, say, June 2007. It means buying and holding until the present.

This issue is mentioned in Snowball

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s not data mining. Today is today. Data mining > would be going back to, say, February 2006 to > prove a point. October 27 (the most recent trading > day as of this moment) is not “arbitrary”–that’s > absurd. A 10-year period is a sufficiently > long-term trend. We use the 10-year Treasury to > price commercial real estate. > > “Buy-and-hold” also infers buying and holding, not > selling in, say, June 2007. It means buying and > holding until the present. Sure, but most people wouldn’t sell 100% of their equity at anytime anyway… Buy and hold index funds has done better than people who listened to the latest investment fad at the beginning of this period (internet stocks)…those people lost virtually everything. I could give other examples, but I still think buy and hold with rebalancing for small uneducated retail investors, is a far better option than trying to buy winners and sell losers and timing it right… Shift the data a year back, 97-07 and it doesn’t look as bad…do a 2001-2011 and I’m sure it will look very pretty…point is, I don’t think it’s fair to judge something like buy and hold based upon one ten year period…