Sports Betting Arbitrage

Hey guys considering a part-time job as sports arbitrage trader. Anyone have any worthwhile experience in this area? Is it a worthwhile exercise to undertake? Thanks

this is funny there are websites dedicated to finding arbitrage opportunities but it’s always across different online books so you need 20+ accounts (some books are sketch and don’t pay out) and a lot of money for it work. you usually bet on future events so you have money tied up for long periods of time for small returns so you won’t be getting many arb opportunities every saturday and sunday during football season. you are almost better off with a cd in most cases between all the effort and chance of capital being by some books. use google and some arb finding sites should pop up…

I’ve heard some sites will let you trade intra-game futures. If you’re fast with the mouse you can get orders in milliseconds after big plays at the pre-play price. Crappy way to make money, though.

Yuck. Can’t you think of anything better to do with your time? (Like posting on AF?)

Maybe you should check out that new sports betting arbitrage hedge fund focused on finding discrepancies in sports trading throughout different geographies, mainly focusing on probabilities of teams teams losing in areas with high fan bases. www.DeShawDoesFootball.com

I did this for about a year in 2002 on Saturdays. I even wrote software to pull down the lines from several sites and find the arbs for me. I made a huge return, but its a lot harder to do now that so many people do it. Also its not very scalable. I made several hundred percent return, but only on 5k. If you’re in the US, its just not worth the legal risk anymore now that its being watched more closely.

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did this for about a year in 2002 on Saturdays. > I even wrote software to pull down the lines from > several sites and find the arbs for me. > > I made a huge return, but its a lot harder to do > now that so many people do it. > > Also its not very scalable. I made several hundred > percent return, but only on 5k. > > If you’re in the US, its just not worth the legal > risk anymore now that its being watched more > closely. Luckily based in UK. So no legal issues. I was also thinking about creating software or at least feeding the odds of different bookmakers into a spreadsheet. I would like to see how many arbitrage opportunities come up and how long they last. Why did you stop doing it dlpicket? And would you consider doing it again with a bigger capital base?