Go for Gold now

I think gold will finally prevail. I’m nibbling some at $735.

lol, thats what i thought at 820

Deflation = bad for gold Inflation = good for gold which camp are you in determines your position… I’m in the deflation clan :smiley:

no way everything goes down at once, this has never happened before. If the best financials are down 70% already, oil down some 65% in a about 3 months, commodities down more than 60%, which one will turn around first? 30-year bond’s yield below 4%, what’s going on? I can only see gold for now.

if you were holding cash now, when risk appetite returned, where would you invest first? my take - investment grade corp bonds, large cap stocks then everything else will follow

There has never been a time in history where house prices were falling and gold was rising… 210 years of history, basically since individuals were able to invest.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you were holding cash now, when risk appetite > returned, where would you invest first? > > my take - investment grade corp bonds, large cap > stocks > > then everything else will follow I will go with high-yield bonds once risk appetite returns. Let me know when that happens.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no way everything goes down at once, this has > never happened before. If the best financials are > down 70% already, oil down some 65% in a about 3 > months, commodities down more than 60%, which one > will turn around first? 30-year bond’s yield below > 4%, what’s going on? I can only see gold for now. Commodities/Energy are late cycle so I wouldn’t go with any of those. Financials should lead with the biggest gains, but not necessarily at these prices, but we’ll get their soon. Need further consolidation though. Bonds are garbage as its not like the yields will go negative… Stick with a bank account… Mine pays 3.5% and I can access it at any time. And its at a Canadian bank with little leverage and secured by the FDIC unless they go bankrupt, then the govt could surely pick up the check at that point, else the whole world falls apart by then. Or the high yield corporates aren’t bad as long as its a solid company and you choose maturities not so far in the distant future.

rohufish-I agree with the corporate bonds

I think it’s usually bonds first, then stocks, then commodities. But things this time around are not really all that usual.

don’t mean to rub it in, but the only thing up today is gold.

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > don’t mean to rub it in, but the only thing up > today is gold. 30 Yr bonds are up huge …

3.5% yield, ouch, I missed that today.

the gold moves are a mystery to me everything else - TIPS, bank stocks, LT UST - are moving consistent with deflation hypothesis. whats the deal w gold, any expert on gold here? is it just a safe haven temporary move?

yeah it’s consistent with a hyperinflation scenario. Look gold is up today and has been holding steady even though the dollar has been up for a few months now. In a sense gold has been rallying all along.

On inflation adjusted basis, gold peaked around $2000 (in today’s dollars) back in the 80’s, so it’s no where near that level. BUY GOLD, save me :slight_smile:

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no way everything goes down at once, this has > never happened before. If the best financials are > down 70% already, oil down some 65% in a about 3 > months, commodities down more than 60%, which one > will turn around first? 30-year bond’s yield below > 4%, what’s going on? I can only see gold for now. no way has been said too many times this year, how’s that working out?

> no way everything goes down at once, this has > never happened before thats silly. EVERYTHING went up together in the last few years.that was unprecedented too. everything going down simultaneoulsy shouldnt be a surprise

Now, what’s going on with gold today ? …

Can someone explain why we’d see hyperinflation? Is this only if we pull out of this far before we stop monetary stimulation? Because that’s the only situation I can see where we’d get inflation over deflation… Are the odds of that really that high that it is beating deflation scares for the time being?