MA in Econ any good?

Do you think an MA in Econ is of any use or help for working in Cap Markets? Ibank? Sales/Trading? I’m getting BMath soon, and debating between an MA or MBA (on top of CFA). MA is less costly and less time-consuming than MBA which I find attractive. What do you think? Comments? Ideas? Complaints? Bellyaches? Gripes?

There are two MAs in Econ in my current MBA cohort. They are getting MBAs cause they couldnt get jobs.

I’m pondering the same question, and am leaning towards applying to econ MA programs. It all depends on your goals - seems like if you want to get into Ibanking or sales and trading, MBA is probably your degree. We had a good thread about this earlier in the year which you may find helpful: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,795368,page=1

get MBA man, this topic has been discussed before. I also knew MA in econ guys at my MBA prgm…

You said you’re getting a Bachelors in Math soon. Don’t do an MBA right after undergrad… you want at least a few years of work experience first. If I were you, I’d work on getting a job right now, and if you can’t get a decent one, do the MA in Econ, MS in Finance, or something related.

I have an MA in econ, and it helped me land my trading position. I don’t think it really hurt me in any interview - for examole, I was never asked why I didn’t get an MBA. But I have to say in my limited short experience thus far, who you know is certainly what is most important.

what’s up uw buddy i would advise you to go for an M.Sc. or an MBA

option 1: get good job; work 2-4 years, pass 3 levels of CFA; get top tier MBA option 2: can’t find good work, do MA in econ, pass 3 levels of CFA, get good job for 2-4 years, get top tier MBA Either of those will put you in a very good place in 4-6 years.

thanks for the input everyone! supersharpshooter: u also doing bmath at uw? if so, what’s ur plans (if u have any yet)?

I’d say only do an MAEcon if you’re very much willing and wanted to go on with a Phd. What What Laurier!!