X-mas tip for Doormen

What is standard tip for NYC Doormen?

Platinum doorstop.

I’m so happy I have a standard elevator building For reference though my sister (midtown west) is giving $150 super, $100 per doorman (3), $50 per porter (3), $50 per handyman (2)

Just don’t agree to watch the door so he can grab a quick brew. It might be a ploy to steal the couch in the lobby.

JasonU Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m so happy I have a standard elevator building > > For reference though my sister (midtown west) is > giving $150 super, $100 per doorman (3), $50 per > porter (3), $50 per handyman (2) I’m calling bs on this. If she’s that loaded I dobut she is staying in a place that requires much interaction with handymen.

loaded? shes in law school… and you’re complaining about your bonus…

I think JasonU’s numbers are in line. I’ve lived a a few places in Midtown East, and the number of staff varied from bldg to bldg, but I’ve always tipped about $700 - $750 total. People with larger families (i.e. kids, elderly) tend to give more, singles who are never there tend to give less.

JasonU Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m so happy I have a standard elevator building > > For reference though my sister (midtown west) is > giving $150 super, $100 per doorman (3), $50 per > porter (3), $50 per handyman (2) Does she include a 1099 w/ the check?? That would be hilarious. I don’t live in NYC but have heard it is the norm. Considering the outrageous HOA/Administrative fees that ppl already pay it sounds nuts. I see a little something- esp to the doorman, but the above is overkill IMHO.

Agreed completely. My family is too big to give much to people I don’t now.

“I think JasonU’s numbers are in line. I’ve lived a a few places in Midtown East, and the number of staff varied from bldg to bldg, but I’ve always tipped about $700 - $750 total. People with larger families (i.e. kids, elderly) tend to give more, singles who are never there tend to give less.” That’s retarded.

My building just put out a list - 4 doormen, 5 handymen, 4 porters and 1 landlord…what the sh*t? Too many people…what if I want to give the doormen more than the porters (not sure what porters even do? as in ouvrir la porte? the dudes that open the door?)…unless I figure something out, I’m giving them candy, a la halloween

porters clean up sh!t and take out trash. If anything give them more, they actually work. These numbers sound ridiculous though.