The Future of NYT

So I heard yesterday that NYT, for the first time ever, put an advertisement on the front of the print edition of their paper. Is this the final straw for the “Old grey lady” or for all major dailies? I can see why the print edition struggles: $1.50 weekdays and $4.00 on Sundays even though the material is free on-line. I for one have been reading the NYT regularly for almost 10 years now and probably spent less than $20 actually buying the paper at the store (I did subscribe to the times plus to get the op-ed pieces, but that was discontinued). But is it possible that this is a good stock if you consider the traffic that must go to their site (I have nothing to base this on but I would assume that this is one of the most visited websites in the world).

I hope companies that derive a majority of their profits from daily newspapers and other frequent periodicals (< 1 week) go out of business. Such a waste of trees (paper), oil (transportation costs), and other resources. I even feel the same way, though not as strongly, towards more infrequent periodicals and books. I used to think the image of book burning was obscene (for one reason), while now I think the image of stacks and stack and stacks of barely used or unused books is even more obscene (for another reason).

i only simply print the nytimes articles i want to read.

I’m almost paperless in everything I do.

How do those bidets work? I’ve been reluctant to try them because it just doesn’t seem like it could work without some visual help.

i see i see…you greedy consumers want everyhting for free, you don’t wanna even pay a nickel for it…but without readers paying for content how do you think these newspapers gonna survive??

advertising dollars. But I think it’s not enough. People thought that television news would destroy print media once. Didn’t happen. But the internet and Wi-Fi is going to.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > advertising dollars. But I think it’s not enough. > People thought that television news would destroy > print media once. Didn’t happen. But the > internet and Wi-Fi is going to. Rupert Murdoch knows a thing or two about newspapers – and he is on record that the internet will transform newspapers – and dismisses doomsayers who predict the death of newspapers as misguided cynics who are too busy writing their own obituary to be excited by the opportunity. While it’s true that some papers will lose circulation, there is a possibility that the internet will offer more than one business model to thrive in this industry. I am not sure whether the WSJ model of tiered online service will be successful in the future – but I also do not think that Newspapers will just disappear. Time will tell.

I tried getting a subscription to the NYT, but it is actually a lot cheaper to buy individual newspapers than to actually subscribe. I think the NYT, despite all of its problems, will outlast many of the other local/regional newspapers. NYT, WSJ, and USAToday will probably will be the last to go, but will most likely have to undergo a significant transformation before that happens. May be the first two should offer a USAToday version of their articles online for free, and the full lenght version to subscribers, who knows, but something’s gotta give.

I don’t think they’ll completely disappear, but I do see major changes in their business models. I just don’t see widespread print circulation of the major newspapers being a viable business model. There’s just too much cost when you consider the transportation, labor, supplies, and machinery. And when you compare that to updating on a website, it’s just a no brainer. I guess at some point it will be a cost savings for firms like the NYT to provide each subscription-holder with PDA of some sort so they can just download their paper each morning. Whether this is good or bad for society is another issue. I personally think that media companies will have to be a sensationalist in their coverage to remain competitive (even more so than they are today). I get news 24 hrs a day, if I have to select one it might as well be the one that with the hot chick making the broadcast or the raving neocon railing against liberals.

that brilliant device is called kindle my friend

bidet? How did we get to talking about bidets? I like being able to fold the paper and read it. After a while reading off of a screen is tiring on the eyes. I have a Sony eBook that I like, so have stayed away from Kindle because it feels redundant (Sony eBook is handsomer, and came first (which is why I got it), but Kindle probably has better content variety). Newspaper is really useful when packing boxes for a move, though. I don’t think it will go entirely out of business. It would be nice if they could develop newsprint ink that doesn’t get all over your hands, though.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html

A friend of mine has been a writer/editor for the Dallas Morning News for the last 20+ years. He says it’s a really tough time because print readership is dropping like a stone and advertisers (the bulk of the revenue) don’t want to pay hardly anything for the online edition because they say readers are “flakey” (will click on article they are interested in, read it, and move on to other news outlets rather than sticking with dallasnews.com for all of their news). The website doesn’t pay for itself at the present, it is subsidized by the print edition which is in a downward spiral. Furthermore, the print edition’s current readers are the older more affluent type that advertisers covet, but as that group dies off so will the ad revenue. They’re trying to bundle print advertising with online advertising in hopes that companies will warm to the idea of advertising online. I think at least 90% of print newspapers will go under in the next 10 years.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html That looks neat! I want one.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bidet? How did we get to talking about bidets? > > I like being able to fold the paper and read it. > After a while reading off of a screen is tiring on > the eyes. I have a Sony eBook that I like, so > have stayed away from Kindle because it feels > redundant (Sony eBook is handsomer, and came first > (which is why I got it), but Kindle probably has > better content variety). > > Newspaper is really useful when packing boxes for > a move, though. I don’t think it will go entirely > out of business. > > It would be nice if they could develop newsprint > ink that doesn’t get all over your hands, though. i absolutely agree on holding the newspaper, never tried Sony ebook, but if you are a book junkie and like to read and travel a lot, a kindle or sony ebook is way to go. I’d love to have a kindle with a bigger screen tho