Value Investors Club (VIC)

Out of curiosity, anybody here a member of VIC? Must be tough to break into with such a low membership limit (250).

write a great report, and you’re in

notoriosly difficult to get membership http://www.gurufocus.com/news.php?id=44010

ValueAddict, thanks for the link. To me, it’s one of these mirages in which I think I can join the community if I put enough time into researching stock and writing a standout report, but then I realize that the people who are already in are hedge fund managers who probably have their analysts write up the report. At the same time, who knows… Have you (or anyone reading this) ever applied/thought about applying?

I’ve thought about it - never actually done it

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > notoriosly difficult to get membership > > http://www.gurufocus.com/news.php?id=44010 cool

Isn’t virgincfahooker in it? I might be completely wrong but someone on this forum is a member.

ive tried twice and got rejected! some of the reports on the site are very well written and very informative (i assume the first timers), but then some others have nothing more than blah! CBS corp was one of the ideas I submitted and am attaching a link for some flavor (http://safe-and-cheap.blogspot.com/2008/11/stock-idea-cbs-corporation.html). I dressed it up and added more detail for VIC but…

Did they provide you with any advice?

nahh just the standard response I was hoping to get some feedback, but considering the number of applications i don’t think its feasible…i started the blog in order to get feedback and critique

i’m a member. virgincfahooker is also. all you gotta do is writeup a really good report.

Once you’re in you gets lots of feedback and advice. However, no feedback on your entrance idea. It took virgincfahooker a few tries to get in. Don’t ask me how I know that.

You’ll see me in there in a couple of years :wink: I am going to write the best darned research reports on undervalued oil and gas stocks this world has ever seen!

Bsivia. Keep up the great work on your blog. Re: your first post: Best of luck in your quest for a “mentor.”

Thanks ValueAddict. I’ve always read your posts/responses with interest. GoodLuck re:MBA

Bsivia, out of curiosity, are you in school or have you already graduated? If the latter, what is your current position generally speaking (no need to give out exact dept name or firm name)? wegowayback, do you do the same kind of research for your job? Trying hard here to decipher whether you were being whimsical or serious. Considering only 250 slots are available, I’m not sure what attrition rate is but I imagine it’s not very high, especially relative to the number of reports they must read on a weekly basis.

yes, i do equity research for a living. i have no idea what the attrition rate is, but i’ve seen a handful of new members in the last year. the administrators changed the payout this year from $5,000 every week to every other week, i figured that would increase the attrition some. overall i love it and have gotten some really profitable ideas from it. every once in a while i randomly get in touch with another member (like virgincfahooker) which is always kinda funny. just guessing here, but i think new applicants will have a better chance of getting in with a good short idea, or long something other than common stock.

thanks wegowayback. tell you the truth, i don’t do anything fundamental research-like as my full time job, although I’ve always looked into it and have studied it. Will read some older reports and see if admission is something feasible given that it would be primarily an extracurricular thing. thanks again.

darkxfriend, i graduated with an engg degree around 3 years ago and am working as a business analyst…investing/research is a passion, when i am not working i am reading…having said that the reports 90 days prior can be easily accessed on VIC and anyone can learn from/emulate those

Any reason you haven’t tried to make investing/research a career? Although I guess business analyst, depending on what it means, isn’t so far off