What does "good luck" imply?

At the end of the interview, the interviewer (a manager) said “good luck”. Does this imply that I won’t get the job. or he just tried to be nice and said something at random? If a interviewer said the same thing to you at the end in one of your past interviews, what was the final outcome, an offer or not?

I’ve gotten that a few times. It’s never turned out well.

Don’t read too much into it. Depending on body language delivered at the time, it could mean that he didn’t know what your competition would be like and was waiting to see. If he’s not the primary decisionmaker, it could mean that he liked you but his opinion can’t swing the deal by itself (non-primary decisionmakers generally have more veto power than positive power). If he’s not an experienced interviewer, he may just not have known what to say to close things off. So, don’t try to read too much into it. Unless there was clear distaste in the tone of voice, it probably has slightly more positive interpretations than bad ones, though.

My read is that he is saying good luck with your job hunt.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So, don’t try to read too much into it. Unless > there was clear distaste in the tone of voice, it > probably has slightly more positive > interpretations than bad ones, though. Completely disagree. I’ve probably gotten “good luck” a dozen or so times in the hundreds of interviews I’ve been on and never made it past the round that I got good lucked on. The most recent interview I went on I got a “good luck with your job search, it’s a tough market out there.” Got the ding the next day.

keep us posted

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > So, don’t try to read too much into it. Unless > > there was clear distaste in the tone of voice, > it > > probably has slightly more positive > > interpretations than bad ones, though. > > Completely disagree. I’ve probably gotten “good > luck” a dozen or so times in the hundreds of > interviews I’ve been on and never made it past the > round that I got good lucked on. The most recent > interview I went on I got a “good luck with your > job search, it’s a tough market out there.” Got > the ding the next day. Spurious correlation. Agree with bchadwick (thinking of calling him “The Chadster” for no particular reason). If you have several interviewers, everyone who interviews has their say on the candidates. We tend to do 3 or 4 interviews on the day per candidate. Everyone is invited for their feedback. So you might get dinged during that process. And then of course there will be more than one candidate. Interviews are typically spread out over a couple of weeks to fit the availability of candidates and to have enough of them to select someone sufficiently well qualified and personable. More than likely though, it is a throwaway comment.

‘Good luck’ can sometimes imply in first round interviews that he is passing on your stuff to the decision making person who will decide to hire you or not.

Lobster, you need a stiff drink. Don’t read into it.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > More than likely though, it is a throwaway > comment. I can not put it any better.

For some reason…I started thinking about the movie “Taken”.

What does “Frank will be in touch with you” mean after an interview?

What does “you have a nice ass” mean after an interview?

did you get the wink and the gun?

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What does “you have a nice ass” mean after an > interview? I wouldn’t try to read too much into this one…probably best to just take it at face value.

Even if I dropped my pants on the way out?

So when the interviewer drops his pants, does that mean he wants you to do a long short analysis? or does he want you to develop some valuation on growth potential? Or does he want to an feasibility test on the merger of his business with your assets?

I think it means he wants you to analyze his capacity constraints.

I think it means that if you want the job, you should “accidentally” drop something and pick it up. Just make sure you don’t wear deodorant once you have the job.

LOL, bchadwick