Washington DC/Arlington, VA study group

Hi, Does anyone know of a study group in the DC area for level 1 in June? Or are you interested in starting one?

I’m in asburn,va call me @5085793285

I am in Washington, DC. Please add me on Skype (with name: zephyr.feng)!

Hey guys- I recently moved back to the area from law school, and I am all too familiar with study groups. I think study groups are a good idea because they provide some motivation, as I am sure most of us have a lot going on, and sometimes need a little push. Usually people join study groups because they are trying to find someone who has a better grasp on the subject matter, without wasting time to do any explaining themselves, at least this is how it is in law school; anything to get the edge. I was curious as to how the study group would be structured. Would we all just meet up and just read together, or would we divide up the subject matter? Just questions along those lines. Also, is anyone taking the Novus Learning CFA classroom courses in Arlington? I was thinking of signing up. They begin on Feb. 9th. I am just not sure if they are worth it. Anyways, wouldn’t be a bad idea to see the local talent. -Cheers

I am not sure about the to-be-signed-up study group. It is hard to decide whether or not to invest further based on the already paid CFA curriculum (6 books). Plus, a class might have certain conflicts with one’s schedule, whereas a study group by ourselves provides more flexibility. Detail-wise, I think communicate through Skype would be the first step. Aside from that, meeting in person for group study really depends on other factors such as location. Yes, I truly agree that study group highly motivates people to move forward. I, for example, am during my last semester in college, where no one around me is actually preparing for this exam. In addition to motivation, people might be able to complement each other as well, which is really like win-win. So lawStudent, how do u think about this?

Hi- I have never used Skype, but I did D/L and add you Zephyr. I do think it would be a good idea for the study group to maybe meet once a week. Not for too long, maybe 1:00-1:30. We could divide different subjects, and be assigned to explain them comprehensively the next time we meet to the entire study group. This doesn’t mean we wouldn’t do all of the reading ourselves, but just have a better grasp on certain things. For example I could be assigned to explain to the group, statistical distributions. I would try to go a little above and beyond of what is required, have some examples, spreadsheets, graphs, ready for the group. This is the type of study groups I had in LS, and it worked out pretty well. Granted for this to work you do need 4-6 committed people. You’ll know who the weak ones are, who aren’t prepared and miss meets…etc. This is just my suggestion. I would just like the study group to be a little structured. Otherwise it’s just going to be a bunch of guys meeting up and goofing off, or a reading club, and I am sure we could all just read at home; comfortably. P.S. One last thing regarding everyone’s location. I just assumed everyone here was from the metro area since the thread is titled “DC/Arlington.” One good place to meet would be a public library. I know that the Rockville Library is a great place to study. They have private study rooms you can reserve in 2-hour increments. Their seats are really comfy too; couches and love seats. Again, just suggestions. Anyone else interested should speak up.

I am interested in the group as well. I am not sure what D/L stands for. But I can enlist in the forum as well. Agree with either picking topics and address the group or distribute questions, try/read the material, answer honestly and just address the difficult ones Location wise I am ok with driving but the longer the distance, the more time one would expect to spend time with the group. Therefore, want to place an online web/goto meeting stuff on the table (gotomeeting | webex etc) Key is 1) not to miss 2) responsible as in few cases, the entire group may be dependant on the person - so back up is suggested

Hey, I like to add on to the discussion here, I really would like to have a weekly meet near the dc/md/va area, and the sooner we can arrange it, the better. Maybe its easier to arrange the meet first and then figure how the structure will be…?

Hi there - I’d like to join the study group. Could you please let me know the details? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I’m registered to take the test in DC in June and would like to form a study group. I live in DC near Dupont Circle and have access to several study locations. -Phil

Sorry I can’t take lead, just too busy, but if someone else wants to organize it, I promise to show up! P.S. If you guys haven’t joined the CFA skype group, do so now! Nadja created it I believe, so they can add you. People are always throwing out questions. Plus we can discuss problems over voice chat as well. An alternative, because I am not sure if everyone would be up for driving to DC.