Portland, OR Level II study partners?

Just curious if anyone is out there?

I would be interested… Anyone else - in or around Portland, OR??? Thanks.

Level II Portland Oregon. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller …

i am registered for level-2 june 2013… but im not in portland… let me know if you are interested in an online group or coordination through emails…

Is this your first time taking the (LII) exam?

yes, first attempt of level 2

I live close enough to Portland, but I don’t make it there that often, what with traffic and parking if I drive, and public transportation that stops running too soon for me to make it out of town and back to my car unless I leave by mid-afternoon after I’ve blown the whole day getting there. (Not to mention, frankly I’m scared of the crackheads and people shooting themselves up on the bus, and I definitely don’t want to miss the last bus and be hosed for a taxi ride when I could have driven myself.) Last year when I tried to meet with people to study for December 2011 Level I, it was a zoo because we ran into the OWS protesters, the streets were shut down, and the whole town was milling with local city cops, cops that had come from Salem to help out, the Oregon State Police, and federal Homeland Security, all in full riot gear with AR-15s and batons. I don’t think they arrested a whole lot of people, except some guy that threw a Molotov cocktail, but they certainly were prepared with plenty of zip-tie handcuffs and prisoner vans in case they had to haul them off. I never read anything about it in the papers the next day, but I definitely heard a gunshot as I was getting into my car to leave that time. Somebody (cop or bad guy) must’ve shot at somebody and missed. Meh. That’s Portland for you.

Where are you from?

Vancouver, Washington

Ah…the coov.

Im in west linn.

where are you n the curriculum?

West Linn? That’s almost clear to Wilsonville, but I worked at Foster Auto Parts for a little bit way back when—so it’s not too much further than that, but it’s still no fun during rush hour. So I’m glad I found work in Vancouver, although it’s in a different industry.

Anyways, I found Reading 11 to be mainly a review of Level I stats, and I just got through reading 12 for the third time, and the concepts of “adjusted R^2,” the Breusch-Pagan test, and the Durbin-Watson test have finally started to penetrate my thick skull—I tend to freak out on things like that I’ve never heard of before—and I’ve just started on the exercises. I’ve been going mostly in order, but I did skip ahead and do the reading on inventories in FRA before I came back and started hitting the stats. Like I mentioned, I worked through all this (ethics, stats, econ, partway into FRA) in some outdated Schweser notes, but when the official CFAI readings came and I started perusing them, it’s not that last year’s Schweser notes were so outdated, but I found it just isn’t as easy as Schweser makes it sound. I’m open to reviewing ethics or skipping ahead somewhere else, too—anything helps, and there’s no hard and fast rule one has to do all the readings in order, either.

I’m reading 11 this week. Hope to be done with Quant by mid Nov. I’m moving at a snails pace, I know. But, level one Quant and Economics were the two sections I scored less than 70%. I need to go slow.

Would you be open to the idea of a Quant review? in late Nov?

I could review ethics anytime,…

West linn is just past Oregon City, where I work. Industry related.

Sounds like an idea.

I meant different from what I was working in before, not that I don’t work in a financial industry. I don’t really know what to think about working in finance vs. any other field, since this is all rather new to me. It mainly just feels good to have a job right now. My impression so far is that the CFA is an opportunity to really learn your stuff and get competitive in this field.

send me an email if you would like so we can start a discussion about review schedules. pdx914 at gmail

cfa is a place to learn, I’ve really enjoyed the studies so far. It reinforces the thought that I really don’t know shit and still won’t after I’m done. But, ill have a leg up on the competition.

I’m in asset management and financial planning. I’m pretty strong in alts and derivatives.