Exam Day Questions

Hi, most of you probably got an email form CFA institute reminding you about some exam day procedures. I just have a few questions after reading the exam day testing policies. 1) Writing Material, this must be a stupid question but just wanted to clarify what a #2 or hb pencil is?..Where I live people never refer pencils by those terms. I am planning on using a mechanical pencil with 0.5 lead, thats ok right? 2) During the break between am and pm exams, are we allowed to leave the building? Either to sleep in the car or go somewhere? 3) Does CFA allow you to review during the exam break?..like if I am in the building during the break and a proctor walks by seeing me do a last minute read on GIPS, is that in any violation? 4) Calculator Question, I plan on bringing extra batteries to the exam but would rather not have to change it during the exam. Im just wondering for the BAII plus calculator, if it will give you a low battery warning sign before it runs out? and if so how long can a calculator last on the low battery? thanks everyong and good luck!

During the lunch break, you are totally outside the building and are free to look at any materials you wish. Once you enter the building, you cannot bring any materials with you (besides your pencils and calculator). #2 pencils are the standard pencils you find at any stationery store. I’m curious is HB refers to a mechanical pencil with HB lead (since I would like to bring one). I would like to know if you can bring a backup calculator (like two HP 12-Cs).

I used those mechanical pencils and its fine. I would highly reccomend not studying during the break. Get a light meal, maybe some more coffee and relax. There is so much material that if your counting on reviewing during the break to put you over the edge then you are probably Eff’d to begin with. Your wasting brain power and not going to get any return on investment from that time. Just relax and visualize.

Agree with above. Inevitably you will look at material and realize you missed something. Not a good way to go into part 2. I like sitting around and watching people frantically go over notes, as if it were going to make adifference in passing. Get a good laugh from it and relax.

thanks for the reply guys! I was planning on just giving GIPS a read through since its not very long and GIPS questions on the exam are strictly memorizations of it…couldnt hurt could it?

Y not just memorize it now and save your brain power on the day…

Im also curious about the battery thing. The manual with my calc is for the BA professional which looks prety easy to change the battery, but mine is just the plus. What type fo battery do they take, or do I need to bother putting a fresh one in?

So is it Ok to assume that mechanical pencils are fine? They are so much more convinient. What’s the consensus?

mechanical pencils are definitely fine. I’ve always brought a second battery, though have never needed it. The plus professional is very easy to change, you just slide a door open. I think you may need a screwdriver for the plus, which you are also allowed to bring in. Unless you’ve had your caclulator for years, it is pretty unlikely the battery will die, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

thanks everyone for the replies! when the battery is close to dying, does it die immediately? or is there a low battery warning before it dies?

I don’t think so, but I have read on this forum that the batteries last a while under normal usage.

thanks but what do u mean by a ‘while’ and ‘normal usage’?..say I bought the calculator back in June when I registered for the exam, and have been studying average amount of 250 hours…should I replace them before going in?..

I read someone used it for 4 years of college and then used it on his CFA exam and it was perfectly fine.

oh haha ok, I should be ok then. thanks!

I might rehash the formulae…

Can anyone confirm the use of mechanical pencil with 0.5 lead?

You can bring more than one approved calculator as backup. I did for all three levels. Hope this helps.

My strategy is some sushi hookers n blow during the break. Sushi is brain food. I don’t think the code of ethics says anything specific about hookers n blow. Does it? That’s personal not professional.

^ Just as long as you wipe your nose off before you reenter the test center you should be straight.

^ And as long as you’re not wearing a suit while you’re doing it. That would harm your professional reputation.