Enrolling at CFA

Is there any way that one can enroll and pay the membership / test fees without putting one’s credit card over the interweb? I didn’t see a mailing address. Thanks very much.

I just enrolled and the last step was paying. I remember it said something like “if you are paying by credit card, hit continue. If paying by check, print this out and mail it…” and then I hit continue. I’m sure that if you’re willing to part with $1100, they’ll find a way to obtain it.

You can do a bank wire transfer to pay the fees and that takes abt 15 working days… call up the CFAI and they will tell you the details

Thanks very much for your help.

I’ll let you in on a little secret: You’re putting yourself more at risk by mailing a check somewhere verse using your credit card online.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll let you in on a little secret: You’re > putting yourself more at risk by mailing a check > somewhere verse using your credit card online. +1

I guess that is a little one. I have mailing checks for many years with no problems. Can you expand a bit on what you are referring to?

At the bottom of your check is your bank account number. This would be very useful to some very bad people. On the back of your Visa is a telephone number that connects you to an army of lawyers that will get you your money back in case of false charges. Also Visa/MC/Amex/whoever will call you and verify large or unusual purchases (happened to me when I bought my computer). Oddly enough, on NPR they were just saying that England is going to phase out checks (or cheques to the Brits) by 2018. Too costly, slow, and cumbersome for institutions.

why don’t you just send money order, at most you can lose is the money order it self

A Beaverhausen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I guess that is a little one. I have mailing > checks for many years with no problems. Can you > expand a bit on what you are referring to? I used the little one for your benefit - please see Bebo’s explanation. CFAgoal also identifies another option if you’re still not fully grasping the fact that a credit card is the safest method of payment.

Cash in an envelope has always worked for me. The trick is to not use coins, just notes. :slight_smile:

Still not seeing it. With my credit card number alone, there are thousands of ways for someone to spend my money / steal identity. What exactly is someone going to do with just my bank account number?

Have you tried contacts your local CFA Branch and asking them if you can give them a check and have them send you the books? The more time you spend trying to not get your identity stolen the less time you have to study. There is usually a 1 week turn around time too so right now you’re sitting at 162 days of prep. Honestly I would just use the credit card. If you’re that paranoid, set up a checking account and get a check card, use that once then close it out as soon as you have placed the order.

This is not holding me up. I just thought that I would learn something from jcole21, who sounds like s/he really knows about these things. I am not being paranoid, either. I personally know people who have had their credit card accounts compromised by internet usage. I don’t care about all of the lawyers ready to correct the transgression – I don’t want the transgression to happen to begin with. Bank account numbers are used for things like paying your gym membership or cable bill automatically each month. What is a criminal going to do - say that the cable TV account is under my name and then use my account number to pay for monthly charges? My neighbor just had cable installed - it required a picture ID.