June 2010 Pass Rates?

I scored 10th bandwidth in December, in which we experiencing the lowest pass rate in 6 years at 32%. In terms of difficulty, this exam fairs no comparisons to the Dec '09 exam. I probably would have passed in December if time wasnt such a constraint. I remember looking at the clock and having only 30 minutes left with 45 questions still to answer, in the afternoon session. I ended up bubbling in the last ten questions or so without even looking at them. I was able to fly through the morning and afternoon this time around. I can count about 10-15 questions that either I missed or are questioniable; I dont think I missed many more than that. Even if I were to double the 15 and have missed 30, I am still in a solid range. I am just concerned that if everyone kicked ass on this exam than the CFA might raise the cutt-off to say 75-80%. Its a rumor that the CFA has never failed anyone thats got at least a 70%. This means you could theroetically miss up to 72 questions and still pass. How true do you think this is?

But 72 questions is 30% of 240 questions… combined score… I think (this is just my opinion) that the CFAI evaluates each exam separately? Please enlighten… your thoughts?

I think the chance of the minimum passing score being 75-80% is 1/99999. You found the exam very easy, but you have taken it before and were likely far more prepared than the vast majority. If you missed 15 questions, there is a better chance of growing wings and flying out of the stratosphere than failing…

lol the average is not gonna be 75-80%…that’s hilarious. Dont go by the tiny sample on here of people saying how easy they think it was…that doesnt mean everyone in the whole population did that well or think they did that well. not sure why you would care either if the most you think you missed was 15 which btw i find highly ambitious…the CFA is not gonna fail people who get passing grades on their exam ie over 70% imo

Jay- don’t listen to these guys…if you didn’t score at LEAST a 90%, you’re f***ed.

lol @ Jay… Wasn’t last June’s exam’s pass rate around 46%? If it was 32% in December, that means more people can pass if the exam is easier, else the pass rates would always be the same or close… Not sure if you get my logic, but if CFAI wanted to FIX the pass rate and would adjust MPS based on that only, pass rates wouldn’t be as variable… Jeff

Yeah, but if CFA wants to use the “modified angoff” method for scoring these exams, they will have to raise the cut-off point for this exam in order to make it more comparable to December’s exam…32% pass rate and all…

Jay- my advice is as follows: 1. After work, go to the local drug store. 2. Buy some Xanax 3. Go home and take Xanax 4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 every day till you get your results.

The pass rate will be where it always is 35% with SD 4%. If you scored 70% you are a gaurenteed pass, if you scored between 67-70 you’re on the fence depending on how they curve it. Good thing is with alot of people writing the morning session and not returning to write the afternoon session, they will bring down the average HARD. People who dont show up for the exam and get a 0 dont get factored into the exam averages. These drags on the averages are a good thing, because it may force the CFAI to curve the results. All in all, if you feel like you did well, know that you have a bit of a buffer because of the very silly people who wrote half an exam.

Yeah, if I have to take L1 for the 3rd time I might have to take your advice )

Do you guys think that the CFAI might raise the minimum passing score to above 70% now that there are only 3 choices instead of 4?

People who did not attend both sessions won’t have their exams graded. CFAI quote: ‘You must attend both sessions or your exam will not be graded and you will not receive results’ I think the pass rate will be close to June 2009, 40% or thereabouts.

I hope so…I do NOT want to take this exam again…I think it took a little bit of my soul away

L1 2nd attempt …but I dont see a chance to pass L1 merely because the MPS gonna be 90% atleast …and I am sure I am not getting more than 75% by any means . I like FRM exam …tough exam …low MPS quitting CFA if I dont see a positive result

lol at you guys thinking the score on this exam is gonna be crazy high. absolutely no way to know this based on reading 20 people’s posts

These first 5 sections make up 65% of the exam. It was basically my strategy to kill these first five sections and then no matter how bad I did on the rest of the exam, these 5 would carry me. The FRA section in this exam was as easy as it gets. Econ, Ethics, Quant, and Corp Finance were all easy…As long as I passed the first 4-5 sections, I could fail all the rest and still pass…

I didn’t study for derivatives and I think I got above a 70% of those…I had already took the 7 but still…way easy…no FRA calcs or anything…

Concerning this MPS, I always wondered whether it could be above 70%. Imagine getting 70.01% in every single section and still failing with an average of 70.01%. You’ll receive the breakdown of your scores with >70% * At every section and still fail… Thanks, very helpful. Just for that, I do think that it’s unlikely that it can be above 70%…I hope not at least…

Can someone explain to me what is meant by “bands” and “scoring in the 10th band” etc?

Factor hedge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > L1 2nd attempt …but I dont see a chance to pass > L1 merely because the MPS gonna be 90% atleast > …and I am sure I am not getting more than 75% by > any means . > > I like FRM exam …tough exam …low MPS > > quitting CFA if I dont see a positive result seriously wtf are you guys talking about… the MPS is never going to be 90% or anything close to it…