Would the Ethics Adjustment ever hurt one's chances?

Quick question: If the MPS were 70% and your overall score was 69% (not that we’d ever know either of this) but you had a really strong Ethics section (like say 90%), then they would bump you UPWARDS to a pass according to the CFAI. But let’s say your overall score was 71% but you had a really crappy Ethics section (below 50%), would they ever bump you DOWNWARDS to a fail?

No. Only can help you.

I disagree. I’m quite sure I read somewhere that it can hurt you as well. CFAcountry Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No. Only can help you.

Seriously doubt CFAI has ever released any information of this sort…

memibanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seriously doubt CFAI has ever released any > information of this sort… I would just hate to think that if one reaches the 70% MPS threshold overall that they might be docked a mark or two for a bad ethics section to send them spiraling down to 69% and below the MPS.

http://www.cfainstitute.org/utility/faq/Pages/index.aspx (Search for “ethics”) What is the “ethics adjustment”? The Board of Governors instituted a policy to place particular emphasis on ethics. Starting with the 1996 exams, the performance on the ethics section became a factor in the pass/fail decision for candidates whose total scores bordered the minimum passing score. The ethics adjustment can have a positive or negative impact on these candidates’ final results. CFA Institute has a policy of not releasing either the minimum passing score or individual candidate scores. Consequently, CFA Institute does not release specific information about the ethics adjustment or the candidates who were affected. The adjustment has had a net positive effect on candidate scores (and thus pass rates) in most exam sessions. The published pass rates always take into account the ethics adjustment for borderline candidates.