Any lasty minute tips? Pearls of wisdom?

People who have written the exam before… please share

LIII candidate here, passed I and II first try. I’ll try to get some other senior candidates to weigh in. 1) The people on AnalystForum are among the most prepared candidates you’ll run into. Most of you will be pleasantly surprised when results come out to find that you are in the top half of preparedness - a lot of that is because you spent more time preparing for the test and talking about the material on AF. 2) (Attempt to) Get a full nights sleep. You will not be able to - both LI and LII I think I slept about 5 hours - but go through the motions all the same. Even if you just sit in bed and read from 10PM to 1AM, this is better than being up and about. 3) Remain calm and focused for all sections. If you feel yourself freaking out, do whatever you need to do in order to calm down again. This is a test where if you’re getting 50%+ of the answers correct, you are already within striking distance of passing. Keep your head clear and read the whole question and all answers before you allow yourself to do a calculation or circle an answer. 4) If there are questions that completely stump you, mark it down on your answer sheet and come back to it. You may be able to solve it by carefully working it out for 5 minutes, but it’ll sap both your speed and your confidence. Move on and do all the problems you have a high degree of confidence and conviction about. You can always come back to marginal problems. 5) Treat your proctors with the utmost respect. For the 8 hours you’re in the exam center, they are 100% in charge. Stop writing when told, or better yet, about a minute before hand, “assume the position”. “The position” is both hands flat on your desk, booklet closed, and eyes staring at your own neat little line of pencils. Think about anything you like, but stop writing and don’t look around. No point studying 300+ hours and getting your exam voided on a technicality. 6) Don’t discuss the exam during lunch. Talk about movies, music, your failing relationship, anything other than the exam. You’ll only freak yourself out, and possibly even get your exam voided (unlikely, but possible). 7) Thank all your loved ones, significant others, and work colleagues once you’re back at work. To some extent, you probably received some measure of support from all of them. No one does these tests in a vacuum. No one passes them alone. 8) If you fail this exam, do not freak out. Remember that your career will be about forty to fifty years, so you’re not short on time to get the charter. Furthermore, you’re in good company; most people do NOT pass the three exams in three successive perfect performances. That’s all I’ve got for you. Go get 'em, guys. One final point for the NYC test takers like myself: 9) If you’re taking the test in NYC - Javits, bring a lunch. The lines and food are both awful.

Get absolutely sh*t faced tonight. It should make tomorrow really exciting.

supersadface its really interesting that you passed both exams first attempt, im sure you will pass the third one in first attempt too. im planning for CFA level-1 either this december or next june. i have seen the curriculum, its breadth is freaking me out, how will i remember things i have read say 2 months back, i will surely forget them all. what you did to keep all concepts fresh on exam day. input from any candidate will be appreciated. thanks

I feel like i am at the stage that i know what i know and trying to learn any more is pointless. I feel confident! i have taken CFA level 1 before a few years ago and this is my second attempt. i for sure feel more confident this year as when i took it the first time i went in knowing i was gonna fail this time…not so much! i have put in a lot of hard work these last few months and i pray to god it pays off. i am getting really anxious and nervous today…not sure how to deal with it

Gypsy, when things become familiar to you, you don’t need to remember them, you just know them. Things become familiar to you by reading, re-reading, practicing, re-reading etc. and then they stay (much in the same way you remember your phone number or your address, just on a larger scale) It’s like throwing mud at a wall - most of it will fall to the ground the first time but some will stick. Just pick up the mud and keep throwing it at the wall - eventually it will all stick there.

@robjames1984: yup robjames, what you say makes perfect sense … someone was suggesting flash cards, may be i should try that too. @agulani: im sure you will clear this time agulani… wish you all the luck…

Passed the Level III exam in 2009. Don’t talk to anyone about the exam during lunch. It’ll only freak you out and potentially confuse you.

nor_cal1982 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Passed the Level III exam in 2009. Don’t talk to > anyone about the exam during lunch. It’ll only > freak you out and potentially confuse you. I’m the same way. In university I always hated when people would talk about exams immediately afterward.

nor_cal1982 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Passed the Level III exam in 2009. Don’t talk to > anyone about the exam during lunch. It’ll only > freak you out and potentially confuse you. I think this is a very important suggestion for a couple reasons. 1) Use the time to rest your brain. The exam is exhausting, it needs a break 2) You never know the correctness of what the people are telling you. They could sway you the wrong direction when you initially had it right. Another suggestion for lunch; if you don’t know anyone there, jump in a group going to lunch together. Its nice to talk to like-minded people and could be a great networking tool.

Supersadface - in Javits, are bathrooms close to where exam is, get short on time so would be worried about spending too much time going to restroom if needed.

There are three giant rooms each with their own group of bathrooms. from where i was sitting last year, it took me about 2 minutes to get to the bathrooms. you shouldnt have a problem.

Sweet

don’t talk about the exam at lunch, one a lot of the people that do a lot of the talking do not know what they are talking about and more importantly it is an ethical violation to discuss any of the questions with anyone, I always went for a walk and ate at a tim hortons on my own and relaxed, it helps that I am at one of the smallest test centers. my biggest piece of advice is that if you don’t know the answer to a question move on and come back later, that and try and relax. have someone tell you a good joke before hand if possible. Good luck everyone, even if you don’t need it, it doesn’t hurt