Dec 2011 CFA candidate level 1 - Most and least time consuming sections

Hi Everybody, - I have registered for CFA level1-December 2011 and have no financial background. I wanted to know from people who have already appeared level 1 the most and least time consuming sections for them. - Reason - I want to track my progress. - I read CFAI introduction which says keep an average of 15 hours per study section with some sessions consuming more time than the rest. I have already spent more than 20 hours and still not through the Study session 1 of Quantitative Methods. - I am following both Elan and CFAI guides concurrently as I am not able to understand concepts fully if I just follow elan study notes may be it is because I don’t have any financial background. - So here I am requesting all of you who have appeared to share their experiences. I would appreciate if people can list the approx number of weeks/hours they invested. Based on what - I have notice when I glanced through the entire material once and based on my research on some threads of this forum I have arranged the sections in the descending order of their time consumption/complexity as below : 1) FRA - Most time consuming - Weeks/hours? 2) Quant 3) Economics 4) Fixed Income 5) Corporate finance 6) Derivatives 7) Ethics - Least Please please do share your experiences . I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot. AN

I disagree with your listing… Ethics needs to be higher in your list. This would be my ranking of the amount of time I spent on each topic (again for everybody it will be different based on personal backgrounds). I think it more or less corresponds to the difficulty of the sections… 1) Fixed Income 2) Equity 3) CF 4) FRA 5) Ethics 6) Quant 7) Economics 8) Derivatives

Thanks krazykanuck. That is the sole purpose of my thread I knew there is something missing in my approach or I am too slow. Can you please mention approximately how many weeks/hours you spent behind each of the section. I also agree that it will differ from person to person based on their background. I hope people posting on this thread will mention at least if they had any financial background or not. Thanks, AN

I don’t remember how much time I took on each section. I didn’t keep detailed records of that. Here is what I can tell you though: I didn’t take anywhere near as much time as CFAI recommends, but I also just completed a graduate degree in finance, and my undergraduate degree was in finance and accounting with an economics minor. So basically there was very little on the exam that I hadn’t seen in school.

AN, This is a good thread you have started. Even I come from a background other than Finance … and even I was wondering the order of importance of subjects. The responses to ur post will help me too. So this Elan’s material is much in details is it ? Coz I am followinf on CFAI material …and have to take help of google so often to understand lot of financial concepts and terminologies … How are going about it ? Question to KrazyKanuck : is CFAI material enough to clear level I exam … or do i need to refer to something else also ?

CFAI material is good enough for all 3 levels.Some people work full time hence may not have time to study the voluminous CFAI material. Hence the need for prep providers like Schweser, Elan, Stalla etc. I have used elan and found them to be very useful for Level 1. Ethics studied exclusively from CFAI text.Used their Question bank, did CFAI EOC twice, 2 Elan mocks and CFAI mock.This was more than enough for me. The key to passing Level 1 is practice practice and practice questions from whichever prep provider you choose. If you have the time and the inclination you may choose to study only from CFAI text.Start early. study everyday. Good luck.

The order of study of subjects is an individual choice. I studies Ethics off and on and revised in detail in the last 2 weeks. Any earlier and i wouldn’t have remembered.For the rest i studied in decreasing order of topic weightage. where the weightage was the same i chose the subject i thought would be more difficult for me to study. You choose your own method.

As someone without a finance degree, quant and FRA took the longest. Quant because of the process of getting my head re-engaged with math, and FRA because there is a truckload of crap to remember and a lot of small differences between IFRS/GAAP that really do just come down to rote memorization.  You should make yourself a study schedule, you need to get through all the material with a month for review/mock exams.  Good luck! 

Don’t have finance background either. I finished studying Ethics a couple of weeks ago and now struggling with Quant sections already for a month, but just because I won’t leave the section until I fully understand it, fortunately I have started earlier so I am moving to Econ tomorrow. It definately took me 2x longer time to get through quants, so I suppose it is normal, but if time is pushing I suggest to just go through and move to the next topic until reading it for the second time/review. I also use Elan + CFAI EOC questions, sometimes reading CFAI things which I didn’t pick up from Elan. I also don’t have much time to study, because of workload. So the conclusion is, I think there are a lot fo people for which some sections take longer than others…thus the ladder is irelevant - for people with accounting background FRA will take less longer than for others…

@kiakaha may I ask how is the finance job market at new zealand right now? I graduated with a master in finance from massey around 2 years ago but never actually looked for work home, i immediately moved overseas, but i am planning to return home to look for work in anything related.

I am juicing every section until I have an understanding of it and then will come back to it on my final month for review. I’m in the same boat - very little to none financial background. I am reading the CFAI book, reviewing the same chapter on Kaplan which is shorter and then go on the video and slides to finish. Take 3 tests and have so far done 75%, 85 % and 73%. follow the percentage that the CFAI gives out on how much each section weighs on the exam. You have a lot of time, be systematic, don’t do drugs, alcohol with moderation, red bull or coffee in moderation, get a girlfriend / boyfriend and study continuously while doing test exams (short ones on each chapter)…

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I got real worried after struggling with Quants for over 25-30 hours now.Only one study session completed by now that also not with EOC questions. I am using CFAI + Elan . I am still worried but getting some hopes back after I saw some responses here listing Quant as time consuming. Terminologies is also a big problem for someone who doesn’t have finance background . Problem with 3rd party material is they are not detailed enough they are good for someone who has finance background I guess but for me I have to revert to CFAI books for deeper explanation on most topics. But reading CFAI books reduces pace and makes me feel like I will not make the deadline. Very concerned and confused at this point . Struggling to come up with strategy to deal with the entire curriculum . -Sujata - I would not say Elan is detailed as much as CFAI . CFAI books are much detailed and I too often have to go out of it to sites such as Investopedia.com to understand more so I guess you are on a right track . The only crucial thing is time management . If you started early and if you do not work full time following CFAI books and practicing questions should get you to the pass line. AN

Quant definitely takes time. Take it easy on yourselves guys. Are you using videos at all? Quant videos helped me quite a bit.

@mr_moose: i work in sydney, not in finance but in a related field. from what i can tell the finance job market back home is about the same as ever – very, very small :frowning: Broking and investment banking have really struggled in recent years because the NZX has been pretty flat and there’s been no large IPOs or M&A. the govt floating the SOEs will help with this though. Funds management is benefitting from kiwisaver which is finally pumping some money into the industry so there may be opportunities there. i’m sure you know this already but it’s such a connection-driven market…if i were you, i’d be getting in touch with anyone you know in the industry and asking them for advice/introductions/etc. good luck!

Elan, schweser etc are good enough for all subjects except Ethics IMO. Do the CFAI EOC. Its a must.Quant and FRA took most of my time.Keep at it till you understand the concepts.You have time. I suggest doing CFAI EOC immediately after completing a reading to consolidate your understanding.

I was planning to post only if I pass Level 1 exam (I took it this month), but putting forth my study plan wouldn’t harm I guess. As a math major and a quants guy, ‘Quantitative Methods’ did not take too much of my time; but that was kind of expected given my background. The following sections took a lot of time: FRA/Accounting, Fixed Income These took moderate amount of time: Ethics, Quant (lot of theory to read), Equity, Economics, Corporate Finance These took the minimum time: Derivatives, Alt Investment, Portfolio Management Ethics seems easy - but the questions are very tricky - usually, you are safely able to eliminate one answer choice and are left confused between the other two choices. I never counted how may hours I studied/took per section; so cannot post actual time taken - but this is a good estimate. Since you are starting a bit early, and are not a finance guy, it is okay to take time in some sections. Believe it or not - it takes time to understand and get a feel of the language/terms used. Most people here won’t consider it jargon, but it is jargon to those who are new to finance. It is pointless to rush through any section (unless the exam is a month away or so). After finishing 3-4 study sessions, take some time to review that material and see that you remember it well; you need to hit the ‘Refresh’ key in your brain!

Thank you anothercfainnyc and everyone. Feeling much better now. Hopefully will try to get through Quants by the end of this month. AN

@ Kiakaha thanks for the info. I moved to dubai for a job in an unrelated field, strictly for the tax free money and all. However, the lifestyle here can get pretty strenuous so I was contemplating going back, but like you have mentioned, and from what i have heard from countless others, the finance industry in NZ is quite small and its mostly connection driven. I was also thinking of moving to Sydney by the end of the year. Let say I drop my job and use my savings to move there and find work, do you think the job market over there offers good opportunites, especially if you dont have alot of ‘relevant’ experience? Its a gamble and i have been contemplating the move for quite sometime now… thanks for your help