Sign up  |  Log in

Advice for those who did NOT pass today...

nimtree wrote:

@Greenman72

Not everyone is trying to become a charterholder.

There are some folks who just want to pass level 1 and get entry into the world of finance and “maybe” after few years consider doing level 2 and 3.

I am from software development background and I didnt pass yesterday (even after putting serious efforts) but I did learn fantastic thing about the market and finance.

I am not letting all my hard work go in vain and giving one more try to level 1 in June to gain entry to the world of finance. Would I go for level 2 or 3 after that? Who knows!!

LOL. I’m not usually one to criticize people on the internet but this post is just so funny.

Drill all the fundamentals with Wiley's CFA experts Peter Olinto, Darren Degraaf and others.

CFALOBO wrote:

Greenman, are you Argentine -or- British?

Why choose?  1983 was a long time ago.   

I’m actually from Dagobah.  But it wasn’t on the list, so I picked the most remote place I could find on the list.  I would have picked Antarctica, but somebody else had already picked it.  

82 > 87
Simple math.

I have to say, having my Bachelor’s in Economics, 2 years of M&A work experience, and 1 year of buy-side experience definitely helped me jump start for Level 1…I was already practicing a lot of the Level 1 materials at work…I would say yes, I think it would be a bit harder for folks with no finance/accounting/econ background

Wow, so Greenman takes time out of his day. Doesn’t attack anyone. Just says, hey, be careful, this might be a little more than some people bargained for and then takes some crap for it. Did someone call him arrogant? Too funny. I’ll just add to Greenman’s cautions. If homework, projects, papers, labs, and post test office hours have helped your academic performance, you may be in for a surprise. That is what is great about this program. You are a number. Biases do not affect your grade. Learn and retain the material and pass the test. Love it. The program doesn’t care about your pedigree or how much the professor likes you. There is no discussion about your performance or participation credits. Get through the program and you at least have objective evidence that you MAY be fit for a job in finance. This is very unlike life as a student or employee and it is exactly why the charter has value. No one really knows how you got into your top tier school or fell into your job, but everyone knows how you become a charterholder. I have taken math and engineering courses that are no doubt HARDER, but the difference is that I knew if I prepared for those exams, I would pass. That is not the case here for the majority of candidates once they have sat for a CFA exam. And that messes with the mind, body and soul. Yes, the material is not that hard, but the pressures are way beyond the material. Your family, who thinks you are a lot smarter than you are, has no doubt you will pass. Your coworkers can’t wait for your results. And all of them went three for three. Charterholders that are licensed to practice law in three countries put this process on a different level, Yeah, just another exam. What does Greenman know?

“Our lifeline is CO2 emissions. Don’t let them decline.”

First time posting on this forum - Greenman, I’m gonna try to be as gentle as I can but no promises.

I come here every once in awhile, mainly to find information about the exam, what to bring on testing day, MPS, etc…. And it’s a helpful resource. But I swear, you must post on every single topic. You post on Level 1, 2 and 3 forums even though you’re studying for Level 3. I’ve even seen you post this exact same topic before. Why are you so obsessed with telling people that fail that they should really consider giving up? You say it’s because you don’t want them to experience the same hardships that you are going through, you really care, etc.

Moment of truth time, that’s a load of BS. You post on here all the time because 1) you have attention seeking tendencies, and 2) you’re a bit of a narcissist. You want to rile everyone up and then tell them how you’re superior and you know more than them because you have passed Level 2 and have been studying for this exam for so many years. 

Here’s what frustrates me the most. You’re telling everyone to consider quitting while you’re STILL STUDYING. I’m sorry, it’s the definition of hypocritical. And, on top of that, you say you are so busy with work and studying that you have no time to spend with your wife and your child, yet you must spend HOURS on this forum. News flash: this is an online forum. This is not your real community, and these people are not your real friends. Stop posting on every single topic and go spend time with the real people in your life.

The only way I could kind of understand your obsessive posting is if you were being paid by this website to do it (although I doubt you are because your posts aren’t particularly helpful). But even then, you are a tax manager, and I am 100% positive that anything they would pay you would be way less than the rate you bill out at. Your time is worth more than this. Stop.

A little background about me, before you accuse me of not even knowing what I’m talking about because I haven’t been studying for this exam for a million years like you. I took level 1 in December 2013 and found out yesterday that I passed. I studied for 2 months. I also have my CPA and spent 2 years in Big 4 audit. And finally, I already have a job in finance (equity research), which I assume is what you want since I don’t see how the CFA could have any relevance to someone who wants to continue to advance in a tax practice. Why do I care enough to post this? Because I’m tired of seeing all your posts, and I have some down time at work today.

jdamian123 wrote:

I have to say, having my Bachelor’s in Economics, 2 years of M&A work experience, and 1 year of buy-side experience definitely helped me jump start for Level 1…I was already practicing a lot of the Level 1 materials at work…I would say yes, I think it would be a bit harder for folks with no finance/accounting/econ background

May I ask how old you are? Did you get those jobs straight out of school?

——————————————————————————————————-

Valas, I think you’re being a bit harsh.

This topic was from last year. GM just bumped his post. I think he said he passed L3 in June 2013. He’s just warning people of not underestimating this program. 

What I didn’t like especially was your third paragraph. I don’t know how you can ssume GM is an attention-seeking narcissist. He never once said he was superior or better than everyone else. I just bet that if GM had a chance to start over, he would not be doing his CFA. He’s just letting others know.

valas wrote:

First time posting on this forum - Greenman, I’m gonna try to be as gentle as I can but no promises.

I come here every once in awhile, mainly to find information about the exam, what to bring on testing day, MPS, etc…. And it’s a helpful resource. But I swear, you must post on every single topic. You post on Level 1, 2 and 3 forums even though you’re studying for Level 3. I’ve even seen you post this exact same topic before. Why are you so obsessed with telling people that fail that they should really consider giving up? You say it’s because you don’t want them to experience the same hardships that you are going through, you really care, etc.

Moment of truth time, that’s a load of BS. You post on here all the time because 1) you have attention seeking tendencies, and 2) you’re a bit of a narcissist. You want to rile everyone up and then tell them how you’re superior and you know more than them because you have passed Level 2 and have been studying for this exam for so many years. 

Here’s what frustrates me the most. You’re telling everyone to consider quitting while you’re STILL STUDYING. I’m sorry, it’s the definition of hypocritical. And, on top of that, you say you are so busy with work and studying that you have no time to spend with your wife and your child, yet you must spend HOURS on this forum. News flash: this is an online forum. This is not your real community, and these people are not your real friends. Stop posting on every single topic and go spend time with the real people in your life.

The only way I could kind of understand your obsessive posting is if you were being paid by this website to do it (although I doubt you are because your posts aren’t particularly helpful). But even then, you are a tax manager, and I am 100% positive that anything they would pay you would be way less than the rate you bill out at. Your time is worth more than this. Stop.

A little background about me, before you accuse me of not even knowing what I’m talking about because I haven’t been studying for this exam for a million years like you. I took level 1 in December 2013 and found out yesterday that I passed. I studied for 2 months. I also have my CPA and spent 2 years in Big 4 audit. And finally, I already have a job in finance (equity research), which I assume is what you want since I don’t see how the CFA could have any relevance to someone who wants to continue to advance in a tax practice. Why do I care enough to post this? Because I’m tired of seeing all your posts, and I have some down time at work today.

Lol after reading this, I’m feeling sorry for greenman now. Poor soul.

valas wrote:

First time posting on this forum - Greenman, I’m gonna try to be as gentle as I can but no promises.

I come here every once in awhile, mainly to find information about the exam, what to bring on testing day, MPS, etc…. And it’s a helpful resource. But I swear, you must post on every single topic. You post on Level 1, 2 and 3 forums even though you’re studying for Level 3. I’ve even seen you post this exact same topic before. Why are you so obsessed with telling people that fail that they should really consider giving up? You say it’s because you don’t want them to experience the same hardships that you are going through, you really care, etc.

Moment of truth time, that’s a load of BS. You post on here all the time because 1) you have attention seeking tendencies, and 2) you’re a bit of a narcissist. You want to rile everyone up and then tell them how you’re superior and you know more than them because you have passed Level 2 and have been studying for this exam for so many years. 

Here’s what frustrates me the most. You’re telling everyone to consider quitting while you’re STILL STUDYING. I’m sorry, it’s the definition of hypocritical. And, on top of that, you say you are so busy with work and studying that you have no time to spend with your wife and your child, yet you must spend HOURS on this forum. News flash: this is an online forum. This is not your real community, and these people are not your real friends. Stop posting on every single topic and go spend time with the real people in your life.

The only way I could kind of understand your obsessive posting is if you were being paid by this website to do it (although I doubt you are because your posts aren’t particularly helpful). But even then, you are a tax manager, and I am 100% positive that anything they would pay you would be way less than the rate you bill out at. Your time is worth more than this. Stop.

A little background about me, before you accuse me of not even knowing what I’m talking about because I haven’t been studying for this exam for a million years like you. I took level 1 in December 2013 and found out yesterday that I passed. I studied for 2 months. I also have my CPA and spent 2 years in Big 4 audit. And finally, I already have a job in finance (equity research), which I assume is what you want since I don’t see how the CFA could have any relevance to someone who wants to continue to advance in a tax practice. Why do I care enough to post this? Because I’m tired of seeing all your posts, and I have some down time at work today.

oh snap

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

@Green man 72 :Sir 1st of all let me make few things clear :

1)I respect your dedication towards the Charter.

2)I find most of your posts to be really informative.

3)Last but not the least ,I respect you.

Now there are few things about you that put me OFF:

1)You are always bragging about your CPA+MBA+Series 7+CFA etc.I am just a 23 year old final year postgraduate (MBA)student  and have  cleared 50% ACCA (equivalent of CPA)+2 levels of FRM+1Level of CFA all with good grades in 1st attempt.I know i am nothing in front of you (if i take your age and experience into account) but still i have done good for my self till now.I also enjoyed bragging (you can check my earlier posts) but i have stopped it completely in recent times.

2)Some of your posts are really demotivating for CFA aspirants like us.We want intellectuals like you to motivate us.We want to suffer the hardship,face failures and learn all the lessons the “hard way”.We only want encouragement and motivation from you.

Forgive me if you are offended sir.

"Unless you are a Warren Buffet,society respects $ Millions +CFA>$Millions/CFA"-My friend.

I disagree with Greenman, I think even if you fail L1, you can still go on to be successful in the program. I thought L1 was pretty hard, as I didn’t major in finance unlike many of the people here.

lololol “sir”

Palantir wrote:

I disagree with Greenman, I think even if you fail L1, you can still go on to be successful in the program. I thought L1 was pretty hard, as I didn’t major in finance unlike many of the people here.

Here’s what he said below. Why take things out of context? You disagree with his actual statement? Appears all he is saying is that you might want to have a come to jesus moment with yourself before you continue, if you find yourself in those shoes. Why is that not reasonable advise? Should he say just keep doing what you’re doing. You’ll be fine?

“If you legitimately study for 6 months or more and still don’t pass, then I seriously doubt that you will ever pass Levels 2 or 3.  Level 1 is cake.  Level 1 is the application for admission.  The real “meat and potatoes” start at Level 2.  The time commitment and the difficulty levels shoot through the roof at the higher levels. 

And if you didn’t really put in the time and effort to pass Level 1–what do you plan to change in June?  Do you think you can do it all over again (plus another 100 or so hours) for Level 2?  Do you think you can do it a third time for Level 3?  Maybe you can, but you really need to take a hard look at yourself and how committed you are to the exam.”

“Our lifeline is CO2 emissions. Don’t let them decline.”

Greenman72 wrote:

CFALOBO wrote:

Greenman, are you Argentine -or- British?

Why choose?  1983 was a long time ago.   

I’m actually from Dagobah.  But it wasn’t on the list, so I picked the most remote place I could find on the list.  I would have picked Antarctica, but somebody else had already picked it.  

Wiseguy I see…

Y’all taking the internetz way too seriously.  On the real!

I figured I’d take the time to respond to Valas.  

valas wrote:

 You post on Level 1, 2 and 3 forums even though you’re studying for Level 3. 

Wrong.  I was studying for Level 3 on January 23, 2013.  This is some 370 days later.  Since then, I have taken and passed Level 3.  And since I have passed all three exams, I feel like I have at least a little bit of knowledge about all three.  

Knowing now that I’m not studying for Level 3, that makes most of the rest of your post a moot point.  

valas wrote:

…you say you are so busy with work and studying that you have no time to spend with your wife and your child, yet you must spend HOURS on this forum. 

Hence why I tell people that they should rethink the CFA exam if they fail twice (or more).  The opportunity costs of taking the exam are high.  And they only get higher as you age.  

valas wrote:

The only way I could kind of understand your obsessive posting is if you were being paid by this website to do it (although I doubt you are because your posts aren’t particularly helpful). But even then, you are a tax manager, and I am 100% positive that anything they would pay you would be way less than the rate you bill out at. Your time is worth more than this. Stop.

I post here during the dead times, which has been for a couple of months.  I don’t post when I have work to do.  

valas wrote:

A little background about me, before you accuse me of not even knowing what I’m talking about because I haven’t been studying for this exam for a million years like you. I took level 1 in December 2013 and found out yesterday that I passed. I studied for 2 months. I also have my CPA and spent 2 years in Big 4 audit. And finally, I already have a job in finance (equity research), which I assume is what you want since I don’t see how the CFA could have any relevance to someone who wants to continue to advance in a tax practice.

Good to know.  You’re somebody who can benefit from the Charter.  And you seem to be bright and driven enough to study and pass.  Ergo, my posts are not directed at you.  (In fact, the title of this thread is “to those who DID NOT PASS TODAY”)  My posts are directed at the cultrual anthropology majors who think that CFA is a golden ticket to Equity Research.  Or to those who have failed Level 1 twice and wonder if they should continue.  Or to those who, like me, have a life outside of work/school and don’t realize how much of it they’re going to have to give up, for something that may never pay off.  

Why did I pursue the Charter?  Mainly, because I thought it would propel me to a lofty job as a portfolio manager making three times what I’m making.  It didn’t. So far, it has proven largely to be a waste of time.  Time that I’ll never get back.  

valas wrote:

Why do I care enough to post this? Because I’m tired of seeing all your posts, and I have some down time at work today.

Good to know.  If you don’t like my posts, then don’t read them.  

82 > 87
Simple math.

Greenman72 wrote:

Why did I pursue the Charter?  Mainly, because I thought it would propel me to a lofty job as a portfolio manager making three times what I’m making.  It didn’t. So far, it has proven largely to be a waste of time.  Time that I’ll never get back.  

[quote=valas]

Probably because you live on Dagobah…

As for the others,

@hei.so - you are 100% correct.  I don’t think I’m superior or better than everyone else.  But if I could go back in time to five years ago, I would not pursue the CFA charter. 

@rahul roy - I’m not bragging about CPA/CFA/Series 7/MBA, etc.  I’m just stating the fact that I have them, so when people say, “What does he know about taking tests?” they know that I’ve taken a lot of them, and that I have a frame of reference.  I know how much harder CFA is than CPA or Series 7.  And if you want to learn the “hard way”, then I’m sure you’ll get your wish.  (Not offended, BTW)

@Palantir - I failed Level 1 and Level 2, and continued on to finish Level 3.  So yes, you can have success even after failing.  But I wanted people to understand that Level 1 is not indicative of the difficulty level of the rest of the exam, and if they truly studied hard and didn’t pass, then it will only get worse. 

@Ghibli - thank you for actually understanding.  Your reading comprehension skills are head and shoulders higher than most who will read this. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

@Greenman sir: Thanks for clarifying smiley

"Unless you are a Warren Buffet,society respects $ Millions +CFA>$Millions/CFA"-My friend.

Hi guys

Congratulations for 43% who passed the exam

For personal use, could you please help me fill SHORT POST-RESULTS SURVEY

http://cfatutor.me/2014/01/28/december-level-i-results-are-out-congratul...

----------

Omar A. Al Ismail

valas, how do u feel about ur first post?

Greenie, must respect for the honesty.

Like I said before (maybe in another thread), there aren’t any Charterholders or Level 3 Candidates who are arguing with me.  The only people telling me that I’m a jerk and that I don’t know what I’m talking about are those who have yet to begin studying for Level 2. 

82 > 87
Simple math.

@rahul roy

I’ve read your other posts that include URGENT!!!!!! and other totally horrible and offensive BS. Please Don’t call people sir when months ago you used the word “bro”. You just critized him for bragging while at the same time bragging. After meeting you I’m sure older people lose faith in an entire generation.

Greenman, I’ve been harping on you for a while so maybe I should tone it down. But from the sounds of it you believe it’s your job to ensure nobody goes through the same thing you did. Obviously you regret the charter, and many people do. But many people don’t, and it’s not really your position to tell everyone coming up that they need to avoid the mistakes you did.

Nobody here thinks the CFA is a golden ticket into a lucrative position. All those people haven’t bothered signing up for support forums like this. The people on these forums are not a representative sample of the population of candidates, because we care enough to seek support. 

And the reason it’s mostly candidates who are arguing with you is because it’s candidates that you’re discouraging and downright depressing comments are geared towards. Honesty is good, but your comments aren’t so much honest as they are what you wish you could have told yourself 5 years ago. We aren’t you. We’re all having our own individual struggles, but you can’t take yours and just decide they apply to us. 

There’s a possibility I will regret or resent the charter 5 years from now. But if I were to allow your overwhelmingly negative comments to alter my life course, I would absolutely regret it.

Greenman72 wrote:

nimtree wrote:

@Greenman72

Not everyone is trying to become a charterholder.

There are some folks who just want to pass level 1 and get entry into the world of finance and “maybe” after few years consider doing level 2 and 3.

Seriously?  You think passing Level 1 will get you “entry into the world of finance”? 

And you’re taking the test, but don’t want to become a charterholder?  Am I reading this right? 

And has anybody noticed that the only people who hatin’ on the old Greenman for sharing his opinions are the Level 1 candidates?  Nobody who has passed Level 2 or Level 3 are arguing with me.  Just food for thought. 


Just food for thought: I hope no one ever takes advice from you. 

Greenie, you remind me of myself like 1-2 yrs ago.  I had passed L3, have been on this forum for a while, seen a LOT of people rant and rave about failing CFA exams, ruining their lives, throwing away precious time, even people who Passed all the exams ranting about landing nothing and wasting their lives studying.. I was telling people to really think about doing the program if it’s turning out to be a real difficult challenge.

People who really make an effort to pass L1 and still fail multiple times should give up.  there’s no easier way to say it, because the opportunity costs down the road will be immensely painful, and the potential value of passing won’t be worth it.  Passing L1, L2 or L3 does make automatically open any doors, it decorates your resume with a prettier frosting.

we’ve had our disagreements, but I’m with you.  I’m a charterholder, and I approve this message.

PS  I think it’s super rare for people like Palatir to feel L1 was tough, then plow through L2 and 3.   

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Greenman72 wrote:

nimtree wrote:

@Greenman72

Not everyone is trying to become a charterholder.

There are some folks who just want to pass level 1 and get entry into the world of finance and “maybe” after few years consider doing level 2 and 3.

Seriously?  You think passing Level 1 will get you “entry into the world of finance”? 

And you’re taking the test, but don’t want to become a charterholder?  Am I reading this right? 

And has anybody noticed that the only people who hatin’ on the old Greenman for sharing his opinions are the Level 1 candidates?  Nobody who has passed Level 2 or Level 3 are arguing with me.  Just food for thought. 

For people just wanting to get a taste of finance, that’s why the Claritas program was created. 

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

itera wrote:

Greenman72 wrote:

nimtree wrote:

@Greenman72

Not everyone is trying to become a charterholder.

There are some folks who just want to pass level 1 and get entry into the world of finance and “maybe” after few years consider doing level 2 and 3.

Seriously?  You think passing Level 1 will get you “entry into the world of finance”? 

And you’re taking the test, but don’t want to become a charterholder?  Am I reading this right? 

And has anybody noticed that the only people who hatin’ on the old Greenman for sharing his opinions are the Level 1 candidates?  Nobody who has passed Level 2 or Level 3 are arguing with me.  Just food for thought. 

For people just wanting to get a taste of finance, that’s why the Claritas program was created. 

You know there are people out there who simply want to challenge themselves. It doesn’t mean everyone in CFA wants to be a charterholder, or that they want to work in the finance industry.

I find it disconcerting that most candidates seem to be more concerned about earning the 3 letters rather than actually having the knowledge that comes with it. I’d rather be an expert without the fancy resume than just scrape by and get the charter without really knowing what I’m talking about.

Personally, I think that everything Greenman’s posted here is completely wrong: amongst the worst advice and analysis I’ve ever seen in this forum.

(Actually, I don’t.  I just wanted there a post from someone who’s either a Charterholder or a Level III candidate who argues with him:

Greenman72 wrote:
Like I said before (maybe in another thread), there aren’t any Charterholders or Level 3 Candidates who are arguing with me.

.)

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Financial Exam Help 123: The place to get help for the CFA® exams
http://financialexamhelp123.com/

S2000, as you teach for Schweser, I sense some conflict of interest  !!!

Just kidding, you are awesome and one of the reasons why I stopped lurking this forum.

Props to Greenman though for bumping up this post every semester and going through the same angry reactions everytime.

Tempus edax rerum

@Energy finance:You are influenced by time period bias!!!You are assuming  that people donot change.Like i said i used to “brag”,but now i have completely stopped it.

Greenman is senior to me  and i have utmost respect for him.

I was not bragging at all.Look my post was meant for Greenman and i am sure he understood what i wanted to convey.If Green man doesnot have any problem with me calling him “sir”,i think you should shut up…

"Unless you are a Warren Buffet,society respects $ Millions +CFA>$Millions/CFA"-My friend.