Ethics Question

If an Analyst goes out to protest the same system they are working for are they in violation of 1(d)? This should not be in violation of the code since it would be falling under civil disobidience, but what do you guys think?

what do you mean with “protest the same system they are working for” exactly? Usually protests do not fall under misconduct, however if any criminal offence involved then this is a violation of the code and standards

Misconduct only applies to your professional life. As long as your actions do not have a negative impact on your credibility and professional responsibilities, there is no violation. So protests are ok in most cases unless they have an impact on your actual job, whatever the job may be.

I second that explanation

So hypotheticaly speaking if someone were to be whistleblower, are they in violation of the conduct?

I believe whistleblowing is adressed in the Duties to employers standard. Whistleblowing is clearly not a violation, it is even encouraged. Never forget that employer’s interests always come after the interests of the markets. Whistlblowing helps maintaining market integrity which is one of the most important aspect when it comes to financial markets and investor trust.

Thanks for the answer !!! It was on page number 71 of the Ethical and Professional standards book. I also hereby declare you the king of ethical standards. :slight_smile:

And what if Analyst participates in “Occupy Wall Street” protest? :slight_smile: