Accounting shenanigans

Hey,

It seems I don’t understand quite well the accounting shenanigans section. Do you know for Sale of a long-term receivable, Sale of held-for-trading securities, and Securitization of accounts receivable, which would most likely increase the cash flow from investing activities under the indirect method? The correct answer is A (sale of long term receivables) and it says the other 2 choices are operating activities.

I don’t understand. Could someone explain to me the answer, and possible each one of the 3 activities?

And does direct or indirect method really matter in understanding accounting shenanigans on the cash flow statement?

Thx!

I had the same issue when I came across this problem in the Mock and could not find a definite answer

My conclusion was the long-term nature of the receivable reclassifies it as an investment activity by means of a loan to a customer, even though the original service may not of been a loan.

On the contrary, the other 2 choices are short term since AR is a current asset and a held-for-trading security is also a current asset as both are expected to be converted to cash in the short term

Can anyone confirm?

Held for trading securities are considered short term activities (also with regards to G/L classification - affecting current income).

Securitization is also a short term activity used to create liquidity.

Both are short term operating activities.

The sale of a long term A/R is a +ve cash flow (you get money in exchange of the note) and since it’s LT - investment activity. (it’s not operating, it’s not financing, has to be investment).

Edit: I’m not sure what your last question really means. Haven’t looked at the CFA L1 materials yet but for the CPA the direct/indirect method were must-knows and in-depth.

Cash flows from held-for-trading securities is CFO (SchweserNotes, p. 110), and cash flow from selling accounts receivable is CFO (SchweserNotes, p. 304).

By the way, the method of computing CFO – direct or indirect – is irrelevant; they give the same CFO, and have no effect on CFF and CFI.

You mean cash flow from the securitization of short term receivables is CFO?

Cuz another option given is selling long-term receivables…which I don’t think is covered in Accounting Shenanigans.