Would you intuitively know after L1 if you got 72+ questions WRONG?

If anyone can chime in on this topic… I would appreciate the discussion. Would one simply “know” he or she got 72+ wrong…? That is a lot wrong…

I know I got more than 72 wrong. Why? Because I missed a couple of definition type questions - those were I had to guess between two and chose the wrong one. This didn’t happen to me on the mocks. And I used to be around 65-72 misses per mock. I did worse than during the mocks. And the Ethics section was harder for me than any mock taken. Due to the definitions questions. Was a bit weird; should have made the thing easier, but I am just really bad at memorizing stuff.

I’m not sure if someone would intuitively know… As I think back about the test, I am discovering stuff that I know for sure that I got wrong, and stuff that I’m on the fence about even after checking with the curriculum. Since CFAI knows the common mistakes that people make and might include the wrong answers in the multiple choice list, you might think that you got something right but still end up getting it wrong… That’s why I’m very wary of even trying to think how many I got right vs. wrong.

The test seemed “easy” at first glance and I felt “good” after the morning session. I felt even better coming out of the exam and said to myself, wow I think i passed. However, after a few days of really thinking hard about my performance, I can’t seem to be able to make sound judgement on how I did. For sure, I guessed on 15-20 questions… I have done a ton of “what-if analysis” scenerios of potential points I believe I got right… I believe I could be on the MPS cusp… If the MPS is 65% I might pass…

If anyone had asked me, I wouldn’t have intuitively known if I had passed or failed. Like what TinyBeluga has pointed out, there seems to be wrong answer choices (which are very close to the actual answers) included in the mcq and we might have chosen the answers that appeared right but are still wrong.

What I knew was that I could reason out between the various choices, but that also does not spare me from getting my answers wrong if my reasoning were not right in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

There has been a lot of discussion on MPS and/or passing score; honestly (ok i do sound a bit Darwinian here but pls correct me if i am wrong) if we score more than 62% or 63% (because ard 38 or 37% pass L1 every sitting) of all the candidates does that mean we pass the exam, to put it simplistically? Not sure about everyone here, but i do find waiting for 8 weeks for results of an mcq exam a long time.

Good luck to everyone!

That’s some interesting math there!

MPS does not equal 1 minus pass ratio. MPS might be negatively correlated with pass ratio, but that’s about it. You can still have an MPS of 68% and a pass ratio of 40%!

I took the test 2 weeks ago, I have no idea what happened. I’ll let you know in another 2-4 weeks.

Well, if I remember correctly, Level 1 has 360 questions.

72/360 = 20%.

If you only got 20% wrong, then you got 80% right.

And if you got 80% right, then you are guaranteed a pass.

I think it’s 240 questions. 1.5 minutes/question is I recall.

72 is 30%.

Damn, Greenman, you getting old, dude. L1 has 240 questions.

To be fair it’s 180 minutes per section

you did not remember correctly.

Ah. When 900 years old YOU reach, remember as good YOU will not. Hmmm?

level 1…those were the days…

if not for a promise, would have quit long ago

Respect

HA!

I laughed out loud at this one. On a train full of people…

I would intuitively know if i have left 72 questions BLANK!

Jokes aside, I think you would know because if you have to guess almost half of the exam you probably get only 1/3 of them correct, which means roughly you score 67% overall at best and there are also questions that tricked you to believe you answered correctly but not, that’s another 5-10% deduction, so the chance of passing is slim.