Defer CFA L1 from Dec 2013 to Jun 2014, due to Illness..?

Hello.

Can you tell me how i can defer my Level 1 exam from December 2013 to June 2014… ? I am ill, for the moment, therefore, I might just not appear for the exam. Please tell me if the Institute can defer my exam now…? I know the deferral dates have gone by, but i am undergoing a medical condition.

If you don’t take the December exam, then you lose all of your money. You will have to pay again when you register for June.

There is absolutely no benefit to skipping the exam. Unless you literally cannot make it, you might as well show up and attempt it. And if you fail, you’ll take in in June, which you’d be doing anyway if you skip December.

Greenman72 is not right. If you have a serious medical condition then you can skip the exam and your fees may be deferred. However, you will have to provide the geniune medical reports, certificates, medicine bills etc. to CFA institute. There is also a possibility that your local CFA society may call you for an interview to determine your eligibility for the deferment.

analyst is right, however I would just go and attempt the exam unless it’s a serious illness that prevents you from actually making it there.

Along the same lines, i was just wondering if i failed this Dec exam, would I have to pay the full first time fee to register for June 2014?

This may be true for somebody who has a serious and ongoing illness. However, when somebody says “I feel a little ill at the moment”, I don’t normally think “life-threatening illness”.

Well i know of three persons who had gotten the deferrement in past. One had a back problem so he was not able to sit straight for three hours, another guy was recovering from a car accident and the third one simply faked his illness (his parents were both doctors).

So all i’m saying is that CFA institute is quite understanable of the sitution incase you have a serious illness. But if OP thinks he can get away with the exam just by coughing, or having flu, fever or a headache, or by being pregnant cheeky then he doesn’t have a strong case.

Peace!

You will only be paying the exam fee.

What do you mean"got the deferment"? If you mean, “didn’t have to take the test but didn’t get a refund and still had to pay for June”, then I’m not really sure what the deferment is worth. What did they really “get”?

I guess it gets recorded in the history books that they didn’t fail Level 1. Whoop-ty-doo.

Exactly right. I don’t think its worth it unless it’s a really serious illness.

I believe military deployment also allows you to defer the exam.

Thanks, Won’t the syllabus be different?

I have literally just started the second reading of FRA .

uh-ho. Spaghett-i-o-s

You guess a lot dude.

By deferment i meant that the candidate wouldn’t have to take the test in that exam cycle and his exam fee would be transfered to next exam. So what the candidate would really get, is another 6 months or a year for preparation.

Got it?

Yeah that makes sense.

Yes, it would more likely be a bit different.