Write down reversal

So, as far as I know a write down reversal is only allowed under IFRS. The amount gained with the reversal is recorded as a gain on the IS only up to the original loss and the rest is reported directly to equity under Revaluation Surplus.

Now, I have a few questions:

1. What happens to the reversal for GAAP? Is the gain reported directly to equity. It must be recorded somewhere.

2. What amount will be recorded on the balance sheet under IFRS?

Scenario (under IFRS):

Say an asset is written down from 1500 to 1000, but the asset is re-valued at 1800 currently. So, a gain of $500 would be recorded on the Income Statement, $300 directly to equity, but what would the asset be reported at in the balance sheet? 1500? 1800?

IFRS:

The reversal above carrying value is only allowed for revaluation(revaluation model), and yeah, anything above the cost goes to revaluation surplus.

However, for impairment(cost model), you can only reverse it to the extent of the impairment costs recognised. So, the max it would up to is 1500 if you example refers to impairment.

As for GAAP, my understanding is that it simply doesnt allow revaluation upwards, once an impairment is recognised, that’s that. Except if an asset is being reclassified as held for sale, in which case it may be reversed to the extent of the impairment originally recognised.

Ouh remember the exception for investment property though, for revaluation of investment property (property where you’re collecting rents if im not mistaken), any revaluation above carrying value goes to income statement and not into the revaluation surplus account (equity)