wondering if they made this test so difficult because 43% passed in December

Hi folks,

I’m wondering too if they made this test extra difficult because 43% passed in December 2013(arguably more than they want).

If you look at the stats of passing rates, you’ll see that 46% passed in June 2009, but only 34% in December, the next test.

Same with June 2010. Some 42% of candidates passed, followed by just 36% in December.

Could it be, because of the 43% pass rate in December 2013, that they felt compelled to make this test really difficult??

I wouldn’t read that much into it. If anything, you could argue the people who fail June L1 have a cheap (no extra books) way to retake the same exact test in December. So the December pass rate should be higher.

You guys thought the exam was super difficult at well?? Lord I cied hard when I got out.

Oh I’m planning for Dec already. *sigh*

Yup. That bad for me as well.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the passing rate was in the high 30s for Level I. I was actually surprised to see it was 43% in December. Historically, the MPS is usually in the 30s. Best of luck to everyone though.

To be honest I didn’t think the exam was DIFFICULT in terms of concepts per se but more like SNEAKY. VERY SNEAKY.

AM Session felt pretty good. Then PM session came and I didn’t expect a lot of the questions…also brain was very tired by PM session.

I reviewed and know I got at least 13 questions in the PM Session wrong…trying not to dwell on it and move on…

Didn’t want to review… I think I’ll cry if I think about it.

I’m just kinda depressed that I studied for half a year hardcore about finance and the exam amounts to a word game.

I hear you liuherms. Feel the same way.

The test wasn’t too hard. Basically the CFA this test was if you used the actual CFA material I think you would have been good. However, if you used a third party provider a lot of those sneaky questions really messed with your head because the wording between the CFA and the 3rd party provider was definately a lot different. It defintely messed with my head until I realized what it was asking.

I felt it was okayish.

I wound’nt say Sneaky. I just say, “stupid”. Like really stupid questions.

It is like, if you know, you know. If you know, then at least you can eliminate one answer and take your 50% 50% chance.

Ok true dat difanchen. Stupid is a better choice of word. I was definitely like "WT*? Why am I tested on this on a CFA exam?“ sort of stupid.

I finished the afternoon session in two hours and started to look back on questions to see if I can do something about it…nothing to save, if you know u know…if not, you sing “AMSTRAM GRAM …and choose randomly”!

There’s good reason to think that a difficult exam might not have any effect on the passing rate. Rather than repost why, I’ll just link to this post.

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-i-forum/91333845

If you guys ever get to the end, you will laugh at how much you worried about L1. It’s all relative.

Relax and enjoy your summer until you get the email!

Ditto. On topics i felt i knew well (80-90%), i was asked about the 10% i didn’t know. One small detail i knew enough to know that i forgot.

I felt the exact same :frowning:

LOL…I just hope everyone else around the world also feels this test was extra difficult :d

That’s what I worry about (and if that’s the case, the 3rd party providers aren’t doing a very good job). I know a number of people who have passed L1 and two charterholders and none of them used the CFAI books for anything more than extra info on tough topics. Of course, now I’m hearing that a lot of the test was based on material not covered in the reviews. I’m scoring mid to high 70’s on the Q bank (which I thought was quite good) but I’m starting to think I’ll need to review the entire series of CFAI books which honestly, even with a solid understanding of the material thanks to the notes, is a bit daunting. I asked my cousin, who is a charterholder, and an exceptionally bright guy if I should read the CFAI material through. He laughed and said: “what are you, some kind of masochist?” Maybe I am…