Question About Finance Leases

So in the Schweser book it says (pg. 270 of FRA book): “Most importantly, leverage ratios, such as the debt-to-assets ratio and the debt-to-equity ratio, will be higher with finance leases than with operating leases because of the reported liability.”

OK, but I thought equal amounts were added to both assets and liability, so I don’t understand how the debt to assets ratio would increase.

For example, a $200,000 lease to a company with reported debt of $500,000 and assets of $250,000 will change the debt to assets ratio like this (at least this is what I think):

Without Lease --> 500/250 = 2

With Lease 700/450 = 1.55

doesn’t it actually lower the D to A ratio? Because if there was an operating lease, the D/A would remain unchanged at 2.

Hopefully someone has a discussion point about this one, appreciate any and all responses. Thanks!

Because x/y = 1 as both x and y go to infinity.

Why would a company have more debt than assets? The ratio is almost always less than 1.

oh that’s right that’d signify negative equity. Woops. Now it makes sense. Brainfarted there, thanks for the answer MrSmart

I believe the Schweser assumes the D/E or D/A ratio is less than 1, meaning an equal increase in both would increase the D/E ratio.

Ex: D/E = 1/2 = .5

After lease: D/E = 2/3 = .66

Likewise applies when debt/assets is less than 1. A company with more debt than assets means that there is negative shareholder equity.

I don’t think Shweser is assuming that D/E and D/A are less than 1. A=L+E which means A > L & A > E so D/A IS below 1. As for D/E it is possible to be below or above 1 but think about it this way:

In early years, depreciate and interest expense(financial lease) > Lease payment ( operating lease) which means less Net Income and subsequently less Equity (through retained earning). so less equity --> higher debt-to-equity ratio.

Good Point