June 2015 L1 Preparation Methods

Hey Guys,

Am planning to give L1 in June 2015. Need some tips on how to go about it.

Thinking of going through some decent online video lectures to get my concepts clarified. Any ideas where do i start from?

Says you’re studying with Kaplan Schweser? Read through the Schweser books twice, doing every blue box and concept checker questions. Do every single CFAI EOC questions. Take mocks as early as possible, I recommend doing 3-4. Then revise revise revise. Oh and ethics read the CFAI text for it at least once early on and once again close to the test. That’s what prepped me pretty well, at least I think. We’ll see in a couple days.

Hi Sanjeev,

You cud go through the Kaplan books and try taking up practice and mock tests often. Incase you are looking out for some online video lectures then i would suggest you to have a look at ApnaCourse. I was told about it from one of my friend’s and when i visited their site found decent stuffs…along with course materials as well…also you could also take up the mock exams which would help you to prepare for your exams and am sure that the video lecturers would help you to get your concepts clarified…

All the very best !!!

There are approximately 1,268,897 threads on this forum addressing this very topic- try the search button at the top!

Get done with your second review of the whole curriculum by mid-april. Then start practicing. Go over the CFAI books too, especially the summaries and EOCs, and skim through the important concepts. The Qbank is decent but too easy imo. Do at least 5 mocks during the last two weeks.

this is the most important advice i would say. it is definitely challenging to accomplish, but try your best. that is, to finish your 1st read through at least 2 months to exam date, so beg of april, and then another review through most/all of it to give you absolute worst case scenario 1 month until exam after 2nd read through, to concentrate on questions/mocks. it depends on your schedule though. if you have free time/not working or part time, you can leave a month after 2nd read, but I agree with Gurifissu that if you’re working, you should leave 1.5 months+ to focus on weaknesses, questions, mocks etc. That means from THIS point, you only have 3.5 months to get through the curriculum at least once and hopefully twice, which is a daunting task, so get to 'er!

this is the best approach to follow.

can anyone tell me the changes in cfa l1 2015 curriculum, except from changes in fixed income and derivatives

You have just about three months left for the exam. In case it has not happened already, this is a good time to shift to top gear.

Spend as much time as possible studying and make your study time as productive as possible.

Here are some dos and don’ts:

With every reading focus on the main points. Do not get hung up on the details. (If you try to understand the depth of every single point you’ll not have time to practice… which is suicide.)

Understand the curriculum examples… especially the ones which are relatively short and focused. Some examples seem to go on and on. At this stage it does not make sense to spend much time on such examples.

Practice problems at the end of ever reading are very important. I suggest you do these at least three times before the exam. You might make the same mistake twice, perhaps three times… but hopefully never four times. Mostly the questions are in MCQ format. Needless to say, these are critical and the best indication of what you might see on the exam. Some candidates ignore the non-MCQ practice problems. If you don’t have much time read the questions and jot down your answers. At the very least think about how the problem should be solved. Then read the solution. In general the curriculum explanations are very good. They are short and to the point. You should carefully read these explanations even for questions that you get right.

In addition to the curriculum questions you should also do practice questions from other sources. Do as many questions as you can without falling behind schedule.

Make your own fact and formula sheet. During your final revision you’ll find this far more useful than someone else’s fact and formula sheet.

Make every effort to finish the course at least 4 weeks before the exam. The last few weeks are best spent reviewing, revising and doing lots of practice exams.