What Do you Mean by Making Notes (Guys please clarify)

Since joining of this forum, I have listened from some guys that making of notes is a good idea at all, but I don’t understand what type of notes are required. I understand that making notes from more than 3000 pages of CFA institute syllabus is invaluable at all because it will not only take more time but also difficult to review at the end. Secondly, if you think preparing notes of formulas then again the same is abortive too because Scheweser, Wily & Fitch or other providers also give the formula sheet.

Now the question boggles what type of notes are then required for preparation or for the review purpose. Please comment what are the benefits of preparing the notes so that I can also avail benefit from it, if they are really helpful.

I always make some kind of handwritting notes when I prepare any exam. During CFA studying I do so and use these notes for reminders and go back to them before practicing. I focused only on the preparation of the notes from the difficult tasks that took me a while to figure out how to resolve it or part of the material that is absolute flash new to me (there is real a little part of new things in CFA material which I had not heard or even studying prior). Although Schweser and others offer written formulas in its material, it is quite easier to learn those formulas if you write it on paper, not only once.

If you are lucky enough to be the kind of person who can just read something as dense as the CFA curriculum and remember it… they yes, taking notes is a waste of time.

But for most people, passively reading material is not enough to retain it. Taking notes is way to keep engaged. Putting material you have just read into your own words helps you make connnections and retain it. It is not the notes that are of value… it is the practice of making them that is.

How did you get through college? maybe you do have an eidetic memory! wink

I think you have’t ability to comprehend and understand the paragraph or the language. I wanted to know how you prepare notes out off 3000 pages curriculum, if we take CFA curriculum into account, where each line is as important as not to just ignore. Genius man just quote the example or the way to make notes… Thats It…

And there is much difference between the college study and CFA. You can’t compare the curriculum of college and CFA.

OK

You asked, we answered…:slight_smile: Take it easy.

Read curriculum first, or Schweser whatever…Do all EOC, try to understand the concept of each topic.

Do on line topic tests on CFA website.

Suppose you have some knowledge at least basic if you graduated finance study.

Then, month or two prior exam, make notes as only reminder on diffcult part of topics or shortlist of entire topic on your own words. That’s it.

OK

You asked, we answered…:slight_smile: Take it easy.

Read curriculum first, or Schweser whatever…Do all EOC, try to understand the concept of each topic.

Do on line topic tests on CFA website.

Suppose you have some knowledge at least basic if you graduated finance study.

Then, month or two prior exam, make notes as only reminder on diffcult part of topics or shortlist of entire topic on your own words. That’s it.

[/quote]

“Flash Back” I also answered to "KMeriwetherD"… Don’t get excited dear.

But I am impressed with your answer. This is actualy a way of good answering. If some one reply in a taunting way, he will be replied in the same way…

Everybody is different, but for me I need to see the big picture when I am learning.

When I studied I would take detailed notes as I went. Again, I would read and then write what was new to me in my own way. those notes would be very detailed and long. In otherwords. I would briefly rewrite the curriculum to prove to myself I understood it. not every line, but I would describe all concepts or definitions as they came up

THEN, after I would finish a chapter, I would go back over my notes and try to condense all the information onto one page. I would just collect the main ideas. Then you have a big picture as to what is to be understood. You can use that condensed page as your own personal map to the curriculum as you do the EOC problems and review. That is how to you get from individal lines of information to personal notes. This way, when you need to know some detailed piece of information, you can look at your map and remember where to find it. You will also be more likely to retain small pieces of information by mentally connecting them to you “map”. I hope that makes sense!

You make perfect sense KMeriwetherD! I second your approach, worked great for me as well.

Very thankful… KMeriwetherD

Man, I don’t know what is your exact problem, but you’re pretty nervous in communication. First you asked comments and then you do not respect interlocutor. This is the last time I address you. I can not waste my nerves on you, I should keep them for the exam.

Cheers, Kamerad!

Mind your language and go in hell… Who asked you to reply. You look like very immature and bad mannered… Don’t reply my comments in future…

This was too much…You look like you … sheeps!

I am sorry, if you felt it. I could not intentionally try to heart you…

“Flash Back” once again extremly sory…

Relax guys, this is not much important compared to the task we have: CFA exams. You all should be patient with each other, everyone could be nervous and you even don’t know about it.

“Harrogath” you are absolutely rite… We all should concentrate on CFA exams and try to bless all with best wishes…

I was always a terrible note taker in my uni days.

I’m following the standard study plan that everyone else does, although with minimal notes of my own.

I was planning to pick up the 11th hour review guide to help with revision nearer the exam, after I’ve finished the curriculum.

I’m pretty comfortable with the curriculum after studying finance in both undergrad & postgrad.

Do whatever works for you though. Try a few approaches & see what sticks.

For me, making notes is in the form of flashcards. I find they are a lot more portable than notes and I can remove a flashcard once I know the concept and then continue to narrow down the cards to what I’m still struggling with.