Reusing Kaplan Schweser 2016 materials for June 2017?

Hello all,

I unfortunately failed the December 2016 exam band 10.

I was fairly certain I had passed so I considered using the CFAI materials this time around to fill in the gaps. However, after using the materials a month, I’ve realized they are just too detailed for my timeframe…

For example, for the TVM material, they never once give you any of the calculator shortcuts as the Schweser stuff did, which I found helpful.

While it’s all well and good to know how all the TVM problems are mathematically calculated, time is of the essence here so I’ve considered going back to my 2016 Schweser materials.

But would this be taking too big a chance, given the material may have changed slightly for the 2017 exam?

Any advice greatly appreciated. My apologies if this is a bit of an elementary question.

Thank you

This is my first time sitting for the exam and using the 2016 materials is essentially what I’m doing. After painstakingly going through ethics and quants, I just felt it was too much information - however, as a student still, Schweser’s whole package is simply a little pricey. I’ve gone through some of the 2016 material from one of my friends for the first few study sessions, and other than the updated/new sections, the content does seem to sufficiently summarize the material information. I don’t know if there are points within the readings that have been changed, but just in case I’m also going to give this a read. Beyond that, I will hope that if there is any content within the readings not highlighted in the first link, that it is covered by the second, or is too immaterial for the purposes of a 240 question MC exam.

If anecdotes mean anything, I have two friends who took the June 2016 exam using the 2015 Schweser materials and passed. A third friend in that same study group was Band 9 using the same methodology and then passed in December by reading the CFAI stuff. So it is possible.

Hope that helps. Happy studying!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Anyone else have any words of advice to offer?